Foolish salesperson

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I had a service guy, not a salesperson, tell me he had never heard of the “death wobble.” Another had never heard of the service bulletin requiring replacement of bad steering parts. I am looking forward to stories of interaction between salespeople, and Lexus and MB owners who come in to see a $110,000 Wagoneer.
I wasn‘t overly impressed with the buying experience and had to go out of state to get something below MSRP (“live” in Florida, bought in Missouri when I was working near by). Get the Jeep back and time came for first service, horrible experience. Everything from overfilled oil to abuse from the service advisor via text after I left bad review… Should have known better from a dealer who charges markups.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Not sure how a MB or Lexus owner looking for a Wagoneer matters. I think Jeep should be working to provide better service regardless. They have not been cheap products for a while..: These 392 Wranglers are getting up there, a loaded 3.6 Rubicon is around $70k, and same with other products in the group- Ram TRX, Viper, etc.

Overall, the other brands aren’t much better on service. Owning several other brands, I can attest to this.
I have had outstanding service with Mini, operated like BMW dealer. By that, I mean they know how to use a little lube before bending you over. But I felt like I was getting treated well, unlike Jeep service.

GroovyGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WK2 Limited, 21 JLUR 4xe
Id give them a pass on the acronym, and if the sales person is new. If they have been there a few years, I'd expect them to know the options or at least say "I can find out".

Sure, they have a lot of models and they are always changing... but that's their job. They should be informed on what they are selling, and stay up to date with it. Especially since them being informed makes a sale a hell of a lot easier to close. If there is a new package out, they can simply respond "I'm not sure, I'll go find out" and do a quick bit of research on the spot.

The issue I've always had is that most of them will just respond to get past the question, not answer it or try to answer it. They want to sell you the model that they have at the moment. If i ask about the XR package and the sales guy responds with "why would you want that, it's overkill" and they don't even know what it is... that's a lost sale.

I once asked about ventilated seats, and they guys said "who would need those in Southern California?" I'm like dude, I'm aksing if they are an option, not your opinion.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have had outstanding service with Mini, operated like BMW dealer. By that, I mean they know how to use a little lube before bending you over. But I felt like I was getting treated well, unlike Jeep service.
I agree. If I have to get bent over by a dealer, I always prefer it to be Mini.

Jeep dealers are not fun.
Jeep Wrangler JL Foolish salesperson 1632164784732

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Foolish salesperson 1632164883603

naotar

First Name
Artur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JL
I had the same experience with 392, I ask dealer some technical question and his answer was "I do not know much about Jeep but i can tell you that we charge extra 15k if you are interested". Jeep should start taking their license from dealers and start making on-line direct sales.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I had the same experience with 392, I ask dealer some technical question and his answer was "I do not know much about Jeep but i can tell you that we charge extra 15k if you are interested". Jeep should start taking their license from dealers and start making on-line direct sales.
but in all fairness, technical questions are not the same as made up Jeep Forum acronyms,

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I would have thought it was right-hand drive too, but I guess that is JLURDRHD

BTW, just a month or two ago I tried to buy a used right-hand drive XJ, so RHD isn't that uncommon either, or maybe they're both uncommon.
What about a Rubicon Hard Rock diesel with RHD.

JLURHRDRHD

Deleted member 59498

Its amazing to me how many salesmen know nothing about what they are selling. I mean they are around the product all day but too lazy to pick up a manual or research a bit.

Anyway my 20 I bought I didn't bother asking the guy any questions. Didn't need to, besides telling him I have my own financing so we can skip that part? Then of course there is closing part with the finance guy with car parts all over his desk and office trying to sell me a 4000 warranty. I always ask "are they really that unreliable?" hehe

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Its amazing to me how many salesmen know nothing about what they are selling. I mean they are around the product all day but too lazy to pick up a manual or research a bit.
Knowing about your product is not a prerequisite to making a sale most of the time.

For commodity brands, Jeep included, there are very few customers who actually know anything about cars. More importantly, most car consumers don't actually care about much but a few options that they're focused on and the price.

And for a lot of dealerships, especially in areas with little or no competition, they'll still make a sale not having a clue about the product they're selling. The people who get upset at sales drones without a clue (almost all of them) but want the vehicle have to suck it up and deal with them anyway.

The enthusiasts who really want to buy a vehicle don't rely at all on the sales drone for anything but doing the paperwork. They do all of their own research. They look at every option on the window sticker. They know what they want, what it should cost, and how much wiggle room they have as far as alternatives. They show up 100% prepared and spend as little time chatting with the clueless person on the other side of the table as they have to.

I got lucky when I bought mine. I scheduled an appointment to order mine 100% the way I wanted. I have Affiliate Rewards so my price was already pretty much negotiated before I set foot on the lot. The sales drone I worked with recognized that I was "that guy" so he turned off all of the BS sales tactics and ran me through my paperwork quick so he could get on with making another sale. I have no idea if he knows a thing about Jeeps or not. It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Deleted member 59498

Knowing about your product is not a prerequisite to making a sale most of the time.

For commodity brands, Jeep included, there are very few customers who actually know anything about cars. More importantly, most car consumers don't actually care about much but a few options that they're focused on and the price.

And for a lot of dealerships, especially in areas with little or no competition, they'll still make a sale not having a clue about the product they're selling. The people who get upset at sales drones without a clue (almost all of them) but want the vehicle have to suck it up and deal with them anyway.

The enthusiasts who really want to buy a vehicle don't rely at all on the sales drone for anything but doing the paperwork. They do all of their own research. They look at every option on the window sticker. They know what they want, what it should cost, and how much wiggle room they have as far as alternatives. They show up 100% prepared and spend as little time chatting with the clueless person on the other side of the table as they have to.

I got lucky when I bought mine. I scheduled an appointment to order mine 100% the way I wanted. I have Affiliate Rewards so my price was already pretty much negotiated before I set foot on the lot. The sales drone I worked with recognized that I was "that guy" so he turned off all of the BS sales tactics and ran me through my paperwork quick so he could get on with making another sale. I have no idea if he knows a thing about Jeeps or not. It doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.
Well personally if I had job where I sold you something I would try to be the best expert possible about those products. I mean it is not even hard just hang out around here or read the specs.

Just makes you a better salesmen and it literally is not difficult even with the plethora of jeep types!

JeepJessi94

First Name
Jessi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
I had a receptionist 'correct' me when I asked for a salesMAN (out of habit since all previous cars were sold to me by men). Anyhoo, she said "I can pass you to a salesPERSON (?)", stating it like a question. She couldn't see me rolling my eyes.
I work in the plumbing industry and personally hate when people ask for a salesMAN. I know more about plumbing than most men in the field and I love to prove that point given the opportunity. It's a shame that the salesPERSON then didn't know enough to help you. I relish the opportunity to shame men for asking for a man 😂
Sponsored