Sponsored

License Plate Relocation

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
New bumper should be here around New Years, wanted to relocate my plate prior to the bumper install.

I wanted to relocate the plate so it wasn't hanging outside the body. Having a thin fender kit that plate would be hammered pretty quick and just don't prefer the look of that plate mount.

Got this mount on Amazon for $10.99, has a nice bright LED and gets great reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07937BQYJ
Comes w/ quality fasteners, the polarity is opposite of what you expect, the black wire is positive and the white is ground.

There is just enough room to mount this set on the tailgate w/ the plate hanging outside the gate. It covers the tailgate keyhole, so if you ever use the keyhole you'd have to measure the spot for the keyhole and drill a 1/2" hole in the plate to access that. I've never used that keyhole in the 2 yrs we've had our Jeep so not a concern for me. If I ever need to access that in an emergency I could unscrew the plate to get to it.

Install was quite involved as you have to remove the gate panel and the rear cargo panel. Only takes a few minutes to remove the panels and this post helped w/ panel removal.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...el-to-get-to-the-subwoffer.30003/#post-698101

I used 18 gauge black wire, cut a slit in the grommet that also holds the spare tire brake light, and back-up camera, and ran two wires through that grommet. I only wanted the hot wire to go all the way through the tailgate, into that cloth flex sleeve so I used a little wire fishing line to pull that wire through the sleeve. The other wire going to ground, I spliced into the ground wire for the 3rd brake light.

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0450.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0447.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0449.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0454.JPG

Ran the wire through an access hole (filled w/ some insulation foam) then down into the area where the scissor jack is stored and down through this oval plug in the jack storage area. The little 4-pie section is a flexible flap to allow easy wire access there :) I then ran the wire on top of the frame bumper mount to connect to the license plate hot wire.

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0452.JPG

I clipped the license plate wire about an inch from the connector at the bumper bulb, cut the two zip ties at the bumper and soldered the hot wire (going to the black wire on the plate mount) to the white wire.

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0453.JPG

While I had the spare tire off I needed to add about 3/4" to my bump stops so did the handy trick posted by other members. Just a 3/4" PVC coupler w/ a stool pad slid on the end. Had to cut about 3/8" off the pvc and 1/2" off the stool pad, worked perfect! Just a heads-up in case you have spare bump-stops that are too short too.
Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0451.JPG

Here's the final result, holds plate very sturdy w/ no flexing, I used 3m double sided tape between the mount and the body so no abrasion issues will result. LED plate light is very bright and well angled to light entire plate very well. Used Hex head Stainless fasteners w/ the head on the inside of the tailgate so wouldn't have any clearance issues where the tailgate meets the body edge. Used Stainless Nyloc nuts to hold mount down. I used 1/8" thick rubber washers between the back of the plate and the mount to give a bit more clearance all around.

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0456.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0458.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With the new bumper installed

Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0472.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL License Plate Relocation IMG_0473.JPG

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
So you used 3m tape to mount the license plate bracket to the jeep tailgate surface to hold it in place?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So you used 3m tape to mount the license plate bracket to the jeep tailgate surface to hold it in place?
The plate bracket is mounted w/ two small bolts & nyloc nuts, but between the Jeep body & that mount I put that 3m tape. And if you look at the bottom pic you'll see a 3m tape strip (red strip)to the left of the tailgate opening, this is to prevent any dings when you close the gate hard or when bumping to keep any abrasions from happening there too. So far so good :)

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"I used 3m double sided tape between the mount and the body so no abrasion issues will result"

In original post above last pic.
You would have been more helpful in quoting this part that I guess I overlooked.

"Used Hex head Stainless fasteners w/ the head on the inside of the tailgate so wouldn't have any clearance issues where the tailgate meets the body edge. Used Stainless Nyloc nuts to hold mount down. "

I'm just trying to figure out exactly how the mount fastens to the tailgate without modification.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm just trying to figure out exactly how the mount fastens to the tailgate without modification.
I don't think any adhesive would hold that down over time, the two holes drilled are very small FWIW. Overall it's worked out great, the only caveat is you won't have access to that tailgate keyhole unless you use a step bit and drill a small 1/2" hole in your license plate. Luckily I've never even thought about using it :)

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think any adhesive would hold that down over time, the two holes drilled are very small FWIW. Overall it's worked out great, the only caveat is you won't have access to that tailgate keyhole unless you use a step bit and drill a small 1/2" hole in your license plate. Luckily I've never even thought about using it :)
Ok so that's what I was trying to figure out. You had to drill a couple small holes for the mount in the actual tailgate. That clears it up.

I was thinking the same thing about the adhesive lol and I read it too quickly to see what you wrote after about the fasteners.

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciate it.
Sponsored