Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Mine were a tad high straight out of the factory. I've since left a long allen key in the rear cubby storage. Had to dial it lower when I switched the stock 285's for a set of 315's. Again with the 2" lift. Again for the switch to 38's. And again when I switched to a 3.5" lift.

I now have them fine tuned to a mutually happy level for others and myself, but if I pull up to within 20ish feet of a car stopped at a light, ill flood them out. Knowing that, I hold back a bit.
Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
People who are accustomed to standard halogen lights don't understand that LED and HID work completely differently. Besides the fundamental difference in how the different types emit light, the fixtures operate on completely different concepts too. Standard halogen lights work by varying brightness...you either have a dual-brightness bulb, or a 45W bulb for low beams and a 55W bulb for high beams. So when you switch between the two, you are literally changing the brightness of your headlights. HID and LED have ONE brightness (I call it F-ing bright). They switch between high and low by blocking the upper half of the beam. In low beam, there is a shield in place that blocks the upper-half of the beam and creates the famed "cutoff", which is also where that blue flare that everyone loves so much comes from. Switch to high beam, and that shield is lifted, allowing the full height of the beam to project.

This translates to a few important on-road differences - first, no matter if you are in low-beam or high-beam mode, the lower half of your beam is full bright...which means anyone underneath the centerline of the beam is getting blasted with high-beam level intensity. Second, that cutoff is far sharper than the edge of halogen beams, so as oncoming drivers pass through it, it looks like an intensity change - a light flash. If you are used to HID/LED lighting, you are aware of this. But those who aren't think you are flashing them.

Hopefully the above info helps to educate - I know that most of us, if we understand the workings of things, are considerate enough to work to avoid being "that guy". Just like not idling your loud exhaust outside your house at 5am and using a higher gear in residential neighborhoods.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I now have them fine tuned to a mutually happy level for others and myself, but if I pull up to within 20ish feet of a car stopped at a light, ill flood them out. Knowing that, I hold back a bit.
^^^this. I have gone as far as turning off sitting in a drive thru line.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
^^^this. I have gone as far as turning off sitting in a drive thru line.
Same here. And pulling in front of a store front, sometimes even negotiating my way through a larger lit up parking lot, and sitting first at a light that is crossing a larger crowned up rode that causing my headlamps to cast over the roofs of opposing vehicles.

With so many brodozers wanting to justify their $200 Amazon light bar purchase, by driving around blinding people on well lit roadways, I feel the need to expand the same type of off road etiquette to our paved counterparts. And it doesn't go over the heads of many other road travelers. No pun intended. On a number of occasions, I've crossed the above mentioned crowned up intersection and was greeted by a or from the opposite front runner.

Sponsored

Steven Yates

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
I know this discussion is about led lights but I even get flashed in my stock rubicon with halogen headlights now that I have installed the silverstar ultra bulbs because the factory halogen lights are useless and could probably see more with two candles mounted on the hood

CWOFOR

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Avalanche/2022 Harley Freewheeler
Occupation
Retired Marine CWO-4
This happens to me as well. When it first started, I took the completely stock 2020 Rubicon to the dealer to have the settings checked. Dealer set to specs and I still get flashed constantly. So now I just ignore it and guess I'll just be that guy.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
yep happens to me all the time
Sponsored