Falcon 3.3 shocks

AZJLU1100

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have installed Teraflex ST2 lift with the 3.3 adjustable shocks. I went up to Telluride to test out my new set up and I have to say that I am very unimpressed on how my jeep rides. I have to air down my tires to 15 just to drive down a dirt road because the ride is so stiff. I feel like I am going to bounce out of my jeep if I kept the air pressure at 25. I am going to get rid of these shocks and I am looking for softer shocks. Does anybody have any suggestions? I want the suspension to absorb the bumps instead of vaulting off them.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have installed Teraflex ST2 lift with the 3.3 adjustable shocks. I went up to Telluride to test out my new set up and I have to say that I am very unimpressed on how my jeep rides. I have to air down my tires to 15 just to drive down a dirt road because the ride is so stiff. I feel like I am going to bounce out of my jeep if I kept the air pressure at 25. I am going to get rid of these shocks and I am looking for softer shocks. Does anybody have any suggestions? I want the suspension to absorb the bumps instead of vaulting off them.
Accutune

Remmy

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon, 2017 F250 6.7, 2018 Expedition
Interesting feedback, I was about to pull the trigger on these. I assume you're adjusted all the way to the softest setting?

OP
OP
AZJLU1100

AZJLU1100

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Yes. I had it on soft. I am sending them back to have them re-valves for a two door. I would not go with them if you want a smooth ride. IMO

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. I had it on soft. I am sending them back to have them re-valves for a two door. I would not go with them if you want a smooth ride. IMO
What pisses me off about the @TeraFlex stuff is that they JUST (like, 2 days ago) came out with an "SP2" version of their shocks with an additional method to make them softer on the road (on top of the dial). So while they are telling everyone who doesn't like the firm ride to "send them in for 2dr value revalve" (they told me this too) they also came out with a smoother version without any kind of an option to trade in or upgrade to those shocks. Feel kind of hosed, won't go with falcon next time.

BTW. There needs to be more transparency with shocks and springs. I'm not sure what the method of dampening measurement is but for teraflex to bounce out a video a few years back about "making sure to get the right shock for the springs" they sure make it hard to figure that out when no one really gives you a way to gauge what you are getting other than other people's experiences. Including themselves.

Sponsored

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
What tire size and street pressure? It sounds like you want the shocks to do the work, but full pressure on tires (I run 30 street on 37x12.50’s), offroad is going to make you feel like you are going to lose a kidney.

I would recommend airing down even for dirt roads. Frankly dirt roads are about the worse possible thing for a solid axle vehicle at full tire pressure. You’d feel more comfort in a rock garden.

If this is a new lift, you may also find that it softens in a little bit. Still, it sounds like you have a tire pressure issue, not a shock issue.

As far as what Teraflex has done with both their release of the new IR bushings and these shock adjusters is make people question their sales practices.

That said, I still love my lift and Falcon 3.3’s and it gets wheeled hard and I drive through LA streets just fine (for reference I lost 3 wheels and 4 tires in a year on my 650, they’re bad).

Also, before you go crazy with shocks, you may want softer sprints if you prefer that type of ride.

OP
OP
AZJLU1100

AZJLU1100

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What pisses me off about the @TeraFlex stuff is that they JUST (like, 2 days ago) came out with an "SP2" version of their shocks with an additional method to make them softer on the road (on top of the dial). So while they are telling everyone who doesn't like the firm ride to "send them in for 2dr value revalve" (they told me this too) they also came out with a smoother version without any kind of an option to trade in or upgrade to those shocks. Feel kind of hosed, won't go with falcon next time.

BTW. There needs to be more transparency with shocks and springs. I'm not sure what the method of dampening measurement is but for teraflex to bounce out a video a few years back about "making sure to get the right shock for the springs" they sure make it hard to figure that out when no one really gives you a way to gauge what you are getting other than other people's experiences. Including themselves.
Agreed! I am not happy that they came out with the new shocks...but honestly I would no go with them again. I am going to have them revalued for $180 and see if that fixes the problem. If not I am going to go through accutune and get Fox shocks. I’ll let you know if that fixes the problem.

OP
OP
AZJLU1100

AZJLU1100

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What tire size and street pressure? It sounds like you want the shocks to do the work, but full pressure on tires (I run 30 street on 37x12.50’s), offroad is going to make you feel like you are going to lose a kidney.

I would recommend airing down even for dirt roads. Frankly dirt roads are about the worse possible thing for a solid axle vehicle at full tire pressure. You’d feel more comfort in a rock garden.

If this is a new lift, you may also find that it softens in a little bit. Still, it sounds like you have a tire pressure issue, not a shock issue.

As far as what Teraflex has done with both their release of the new IR bushings and these shock adjusters is make people question their sales practices.

That said, I still love my lift and Falcon 3.3’s and it gets wheeled hard and I drive through LA streets just fine (for reference I lost 3 wheels and 4 tires in a year on my 650, they’re bad).

Also, before you go crazy with shocks, you may want softer sprints if you prefer that type of ride.
I have 35x12.50 and I air down to 15. I normally run between 26-28 lbs. I was told the TF springs were pretty close to stock compression. I am keeping fingers crossed. I am glad that they work for you.

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I have 35x12.50 and I air down to 15. I normally run between 26-28 lbs. I was told the TF springs were pretty close to stock compression. I am keeping fingers crossed. I am glad that they work for you.
Keep us updated. Let us know how it turns out. Before you go swapping a lot of other stuff, I’d maybe swap springs. Good luck!

Sponsored

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Any suggestions on softer springs?
I’d go to a true Jeep shop that maybe has a few combo’s you can drive. I wouldn’t just start experimenting personally. That’s how I decided on what I wanted. I rode in or drove Jeeps with the combos I was interested in. I would say maybe Rock Krawler? Someone else had suggested accutune.

But candidly, if you can solve it through revalving and/or tire pressures, I would. Coming from sports cars on coil overs, a pound or two of pressure can make a huge difference.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What people don’t realize is that these or all falcon shocks for that matter are digressive valved shocks.
Means they will ride stiff for pavement and washboard roads.
But where it really shines is high speed big bumps and g-outs, I took mine off-road and really send it is when I started to re-evaluate my falcon shocks. Now I am absolutely in love with them.
I suggest you read up on this article:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
What people don’t realize is that these or all falcon shocks for that matter are digressive valved shocks.
Means they will ride stiff for pavement and washboard roads.
But where it really shines is high speed big bumps and g-outs, I took mine off-road and really send it is when I started to re-evaluate my falcon shocks. Now I am absolutely in love with them.
I suggest you read up on this article:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/digressive-vs-linear-vs-progressive-pistons-shock-valving/
"digressive linear" is what they call it, but you're right.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Hey guys I’m trying to decide between the fox 2.5 from accutune or falcon 3.3( heard you can turn shaft to soft during install and still have the dial knob to choose between soft , medium, firm). My goal is to get a comfortable ride and not feel that jarring cabin feel/noise when driving here in Phoenix on all these shitty roads. Any insight from your experience would help.
Sponsored