Sponsored

Supertop Ultra Problem with 2020 Rubicon

Parker81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Wrangler
Hoping someone has had the same issue - I just spent 6 hours installing this thing and now I can’t get it open.

I have a 2020 Rucicon and I can’t get the latches to disengage In order to open the top.

When I open one latch, the hook on the other latch gets tighter and won’t disengage - it’s like the top becomes too tight once I release the first latch.

I’ve tried doing both at the same time and trying to move the top around, but it won’t budge.

I have to say, the install was a lot harder than it should have been because several of the screws/parts didn’t seem like they were cut right. I had to finesse a bunch parts into place which probably added two hours to the install - but I was able to get through it, and now this happens.

Has anyone else had this and figured out how to fix it?

Thanks
Sponsored

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Hoping someone has had the same issue - I just spent 6 hours installing this thing and now I can’t get it open.

I have a 2020 Rucicon and I can’t get the latches to disengage In order to open the top.

When I open one latch, the hook on the other latch gets tighter and won’t disengage - it’s like the top becomes too tight once I release the first latch.

I’ve tried doing both at the same time and trying to move the top around, but it won’t budge.

I have to say, the install was a lot harder than it should have been because several of the screws/parts didn’t seem like they were cut right. I had to finesse a bunch parts into place which probably added two hours to the install - but I was able to get through it, and now this happens.

Has anyone else had this and figured out how to fix it?

Thanks
I had all of the same issues. Park it in the direct sun, to allow the material to loosen up. Be patient it will eventually. The directions totally sucked.

OP
OP

Parker81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Wrangler
I had all of the same issues. Park it in the direct sun, to allow the material to loosen up. Be patient it will eventually. The directions totally sucked.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try - and I agree - the directions completely sucked.

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I also had a similar problem. Mine was so tight, I couldn't even get it closed. It was so bad, I had to remove the cables from the back. That fixed it immediately. I emailed Bestop about the issue and never got a reply. After watching the install video on YouTube, I discovered that I had put the cables on the wrong bracket (crappy instructions). I re-installed the cables on the correct bracket. I can now shut and latch the top but occasionally, I will have the difficulty you mentioned about opening. I have to pull down on the header bar as I unlatch the second one.

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey guys,
Sorry to hear about the troubles. One thing I can recommend is clocking the spring assist mechanism as forward as you can by loosening the 3 bolts that hold it to the pivot bracket in the rear. If you are still having troubles after that please reach out to our Customer Service team. Their number is 800-845-3567 and are in the office between 8am-5pm Mountain Monday through Friday.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP

Parker81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Wrangler
Hey guys,
Sorry to hear about the troubles. One thing I can recommend is clocking the spring assist mechanism as forward as you can by loosening the 3 bolts that hold it to the pivot bracket in the rear. If you are still having troubles after that please reach out to our Customer Service team. Their number is 800-845-3567 and are in the office between 8am-5pm Mountain Monday through Friday.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Any way you can send a picture of the the parts you’re talking about, or the part numbers, so I can match it up to the directions? I think I know what you’re referring to, but I want to make sure I’m adjusting the right part.

Thanks

RobLT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Any way you can send a picture of the the parts you’re talking about, or the part numbers, so I can match it up to the directions? I think I know what you’re referring to, but I want to make sure I’m adjusting the right part.

Thanks
I just purchased the 2018 JL soft top, 4 + hours to install and the exact same thing. I watched the Bestop video 4 times before installing. I actually used it as I installed. In the end I got the front latches to work but it is out in the heat and sun now hoping it will loosen up. When I try and release the front latches the first one is easy, but the second one gets all the tension and the “j” hook will not release. Hoping the heat/sun does the trick. I think Bestop needs to comment on this and make suggestions as it seems like a real issue, although if it is a necessary process just add it as the final step. I love the top, the Jeep, but I must admit installing this thing is a chore, the $99 install seems like money well spent. I would guess Bestop could save on a ton of customer service hours by just including the install as part of the product purchased. Be smart, you have too many customers angry about this make it right Bestop and improve the experience. In the interim, let me know if this is normal and how long in 90 degree mid Atlantic humid heat should it take to stretch out fully so my wife can use the latches. Also, if not normal please advise a solution Thanks

OP
OP

Parker81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Wrangler
I just purchased the 2018 JL soft top, 4 + hours to install and the exact same thing. I watched the Bestop video 4 times before installing. I actually used it as I installed. In the end I got the front latches to work but it is out in the heat and sun now hoping it will loosen up. When I try and release the front latches the first one is easy, but the second one gets all the tension and the “j” hook will not release. Hoping the heat/sun does the trick. I think Bestop needs to comment on this and make suggestions as it seems like a real issue, although if it is a necessary process just add it as the final step. I love the top, the Jeep, but I must admit installing this thing is a chore, the $99 install seems like money well spent. I would guess Bestop could save on a ton of customer service hours by just including the install as part of the product purchased. Be smart, you have too many customers angry about this make it right Bestop and improve the experience. In the interim, let me know if this is normal and how long in 90 degree mid Atlantic humid heat should it take to stretch out fully so my wife can use the latches. Also, if not normal please advise a solution Thanks
I’m in Boston and we’re basically in the middle of heat wave so I was able to leave the car out in direct sun for a day and the fabric definitely loosened up and I was able to get the second J hook to unlatch - but only after pull the top forward by one of the bows.

Another piece of the operation of the top that is pretty much non-existent in the instructions is how to lock the lift assists - the levers with the yellow rubber on them. I didn’t realize you had to push them down, not up, to lock the back of the top in place. Doing that, along with letting the top sit in the sun for a day seems to have done the trick for me, but I agree - a few tweaks/clarifications to the instructions could save people a lot of time/headaches during installation.

RobLT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I left the Jeep in the sun with temperatures in the mid 90’s closed and in 1/1/2 days the latches work great. I spoke to Bestop and suggested the final instruction be to leave the top closed and out in the sun to stretch. Thanks all!

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
So does that mean that during the winter the latches won’t open?

RobLT

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So does that mean that during the winter the latches won’t open?
I believe it will be stretched and working fine by then, I spoke to a certified Bestop installer and he said In the winter they have to sit these soft tops in front of a commercial heater before they install to stretch them out. You should be fine, my top works fine now
Sponsored