Roof rack Crane

ArcHunter1913

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
I'm about to buy the Rhino Rack backbone system with the pioneer platform, my question is has anyone ever found/installed any sort of a crane system to a roof rack?

I am a hunter and would like to be able to lift a deer up to the rack by myself. Last year i was able to get it to fit into the back of the jeep with some help and a tarp but not ideal. I have seen crane/lifts that attach at the hitch but i don't think that would do what i am looking for.
Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester (Subaru)
Not exactly what you're looking for, but, there's the RazerLift, which uses 12Vdc to bring whatever you want down to an easier load height (either perpendicular or parallel to the ground / roof). Or, you could modify the Thule Hullavator Pro or the Yakima Showdown to lift a deer instead of a kayak. I modified one to lift a canoe instead of a kayak, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. Food for thought. Malone also makes the "Telos XL" which kinda acts like steep ramps up to the roof rack so you can slowly ratchet the load upward (I think?).

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
If you live in an area with trees, you could use a pulley over a large branch and use your winch to lift a deer. Not a “crane” but doable.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester (Subaru)
If you live in an area with trees, you could use a pulley over a large branch and use your winch to lift a deer. Not a “crane” but doable.
That's a cool idea - I wonder if you could build an a-frame with 80-20 or lumber off the pioneer rack to house a pulley for the winch cable, so you didn't have to rely on random trees?

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
That's a cool idea - I wonder if you could build an a-frame with 80-20 or lumber off the pioneer rack to house a pulley for the winch cable, so you didn't have to rely on random trees?
You might find a hitch-mount solution for holding a pulley, as well.

Sponsored

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester (Subaru)
Ezylift has some cool products - they even show someone using one to lift a hog into a pickup bed. I bet the Impac 500 (they show in the back of Kubotas and Polaris Utility Vehicles) could be used either in the back of the Wrangler or mounted to the roof somehow. Probably more pricey, though, like the Razerlift.

I wonder if you could use a builder's hoist boom mounted to the roof, which you could swing out to the side and use to lift the deer?

OP
OP

ArcHunter1913

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Ezylift has some cool products - they even show someone using one to lift a hog into a pickup bed. I bet the Impac 500 (they show in the back of Kubotas and Polaris Utility Vehicles) could be used either in the back of the Wrangler or mounted to the roof somehow. Probably more pricey, though, like the Razerlift.

I wonder if you could use a builder's hoist boom mounted to the roof, which you could swing out to the side and use to lift the deer?
I looked up that eztlift and that is very cool. I will have to look at the cost. Thanks for the tip
Sponsored