avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking to swap out the stock (plastic) bumpers on the JLUR. In the not too distant future I was going to get 35's. I was trying not to overthink the process of swapping out the rear bumper, but, I didn't want to rule out the idea of a bumper system with an integrated tire carrier.

When do people make the jump to a rear bumper system with an integrated tire carrier ? The idea seems appealing as it reduces the stress on the tailgate itself. I currently don't think I would run 37's but that may change in a couple of years. I was wondering what people thought.
Sponsored

OP
OP
avei5150

avei5150

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Would people recommend a re-enforcement bracket for 35’s?

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
Your 35's should fit with the plastic bumper. My 37s just barely rubbed. Because of the rubbing, i got the RC relocation bracket. I would suspect that the 35s will fit with just about any aftermarket bumper.

I personally believe that having the spare attached to the bumper and distributing the weight to the frame is better than the rear hatch; especially while hauling off road.

When i replace the rear bumper, I will replace it with a tire carrier. I had one on the CJ and really liked it. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger now is that I can't find one that is priced at a point that I'm willing to pay. Even the EAG stuff on Amazon is ~$800 for the JL and ~$450 for an identical product for the JK. When those prices further align, I'll pull the trigger.

Though, Roams' is pretty tempting now.

As to the reinforcement bracket.... I would get a bumper with the carrier. Paying ~$400 to reinforce a tire that is only ~15lbs heavier seams like a waste (I haven't had any issues with the 37 and no reinforcement in the last 6 months). And, if you're going to spend $400 on a bumper and $400 on the reinforcement bracket, why not spend $800 and get a bumper with the carrier?

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
My experience: Swap it as soon as you plan on wheeling. Granted, my experience is almost completely with TJ's so far, but the second you start bouncing around with that 100lb +/- tire and wheel off road, the hinges start to warp. While the JL's have been reinforced, I still agree with the poster above: I'd rather have the weight distributed to the frame than on the tailgate only.

That said: Does anyone know of a rear tire carrier that can accommodate the OEM rear hitch? I got the trailer tow package for the Aux switches and upgraded Alt, but now that I have the rear frame mounted hitch, I kind of would like to keep it. I was looking at the Roam one, but that already has a hitch installed. I had a similar set up on my TJ and while it works fine for recovery, I don't know that I'd trust it for towing anything- not that I plan to tow anything, but you know how the saying goes: better to have it, and not need it...
Sponsored