Voided contract due to shipment delay

MiKiEPNyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (White w/Tan)
Has anyone ever been successful in canceling their deal to get a new Jeep due to a delay in delivery?

Last month when I was working with a dealership I was told a White Sahara JL with basically every option I wanted was going to be delivered between 1/24-1/30. I was going away on the Jan 28th returning Feb 6th. The dealership asked if I could come in a sign everything so that they can record the deal in January and I would have the Jeep when I got back from vacation. Under that assumption, I unfortunately signed the paperwork and gave a down payment. Upon returning from vacation the dealer said they didn’t know why the Jeep was not delivered yet. I used the Jeep live chat two days ago and found out the eta was now 2/24-3/1. I checked again today and it’s now 2/28-3/4. 1 month later than originally told. I really don’t want to wait that long. If I wanted to wait I would’ve custom ordered. I’m looking to void that deal and take either another Sahara or a Rubi off their lot. I’ve been unsuccessful in getting the dealership to agree to this.

Other than me being an idiot for doing what I did, does anyone have any opinions or ideas? Or have any of you dealt with the same issue? Thanks!
Sponsored

VictorChampion

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Someone with more legal expertise than me will probably chime in for you. However, for the transaction to to have occurred, goods and services must be exchanged. Until goods or services are exchanged for valuable consideration, I don't believe the transaction is completed. Since you have not received your goods for value received - your deposit and good faith bargaining of an incoming unit, the transaction should be null and void. Unless, of course you knowingly put a deposit down for future transfer of goods, ie special order and were made aware of the wait time. Additionally, the exchange would fall under your final inspection. The dealer would have a hard time demonstrating bargaining in good faith in that instance especially dating paperwork on the day you signed, held your funds and probably already has it placed with a lender if you financed. On one side I would be extremely pissed. On the flip side, if you got a deal you don't believe you can better, you're only three weeks out. If you really pressed it, I am sure you could unravel the deal ESPECIALLY if they have placed with a lender and expecting that deal to fund if not already or if you paid cash in full. Meaning of course, they have received your loan proceeds and are paid in full but you have not received the goods for that payment.

CJ-YJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKU, 2015 Audi S3
Does the deal you signed indicate that you would take delivery by a certain date? Or was that just what they told you and it wasn’t memorialized in the contract?

I would ask to speak to the sales manager. If he or she won’t let you transfer your down payment to another vehicle on the lot, then I suspect a letter from an attorney on their letterhead will get things moving.

OP
OP
MiKiEPNyC

MiKiEPNyC

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (White w/Tan)
So after all the back and forth, I just got a text from the dealership, and the Jeep was delivered today. Hoping it can get inspected and detailed by the time they close tonight. I don’t want to wait till Monday for it! Lol. Thank you both for your input.

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Make sure to leave reviews on google maps and Yelp informing others of their shady business practices!

horse&jeep

First Name
Diana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL ordered 11/7/17
Has anyone ever been successful in canceling their deal to get a new Jeep due to a delay in delivery?

Last month when I was working with a dealership I was told a White Sahara JL with basically every option I wanted was going to be delivered between 1/24-1/30. I was going away on the Jan 28th returning Feb 6th. The dealership asked if I could come in a sign everything so that they can record the deal in January and I would have the Jeep when I got back from vacation. Under that assumption, I unfortunately signed the paperwork and gave a down payment. Upon returning from vacation the dealer said they didn’t know why the Jeep was not delivered yet. I used the Jeep live chat two days ago and found out the eta was now 2/24-3/1. I checked again today and it’s now 2/28-3/4. 1 month later than originally told. I really don’t want to wait that long. If I wanted to wait I would’ve custom ordered. I’m looking to void that deal and take either another Sahara or a Rubi off their lot. I’ve been unsuccessful in getting the dealership to agree to this.

Other than me being an idiot for doing what I did, does anyone have any opinions or ideas? Or have any of you dealt with the same issue? Thanks!
Sorry you are having trouble getting your jeep. I wish they had forecasted later then surprised everyone with earlier deliveries rather than what has happened.
We put $500 down on a White Sahara JL with matching hard top and all the bells and whistles back in the first part of November. We also were told middle of January it would arrive at the dealership. Dates were pushed back until we were finally told probably first part of March. Because we needed another car sooner than that we started looking online for ones already delivered. Our dealership told us that there aren't enough of the JLs for the dealerships to ship from one to another. They aren't sharing so to speak. We ended up finding a white Sahara with all the bells and whistles but with a premium soft top. We figured we could order another top (maybe even the one touch version) sometime later. The dealership we found delivered it from Palmer, Georgia to our front door in Birmingham, Alabama! It is awesome and relieved to have the wait finally over.
Sponsored