Thule cargo box installed

Soc4me

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I installed my Thule ski box this weekend on my JLU and I went skiing yesterday ... Perfect configuration for ski fans. In addition, it can still pass through an 8-foot garage door.

JL02.jpg

JL01.jpg

IMG_1002.JPG
Would you able to measure how high the box sits about the top of your roof? I have a 2.5" lift and 35s with a 8' garage door. It would be really close for me to be able to fit inside. Appreciate it
Sponsored

Pcljl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Ours is 8.5-feet to the top of the box. I measured because we had to park in a hotel and wanted to be sure we could fit in the garage (we couldn't).

Sorry, that's 8.5-ft from ground to top of the box. I have a 2018 JLUR with Mopar 2-inch lift and 315 70/R17 KO2 tires. The box is no longer on the Jeep and is now in storage, so I can't take a different measurement.

Would you able to measure how high the box sits about the top of your roof? I have a 2.5" lift and 35s with a 8' garage door. It would be really close for me to be able to fit inside. Appreciate it

Soc4me

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Ours is 8.5-feet to the top of the box. I measured because we had to park in a hotel and wanted to be sure we could fit in the garage (we couldn't).

Sorry, that's 8.5-ft from ground to top of the box. I have a 2018 JLUR with Mopar 2-inch lift and 315 70/R17 KO2 tires. The box is no longer on the Jeep and is now in storage, so I can't take a different measurement.
Thanks for getting back to me. That’s really helpful

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Has anyone installed a cargo box on a 2-door JL? I'm wondering if there is enough crossbar spread.

Sponsored

Majic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I installed my Thule ski box this weekend on my JLU and I went skiing yesterday ... Perfect configuration for ski fans. In addition, it can still pass through an 8-foot garage door.

IMG_1002.JPG
Can you still remove the freedom tops with the cargo box installed?

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Has anyone installed a cargo box on a 2-door JL? I'm wondering if there is enough crossbar spread.
I have, and yes you can get plenty of spread between the crossbars.
That's great to hear. What model cargo box do you own? Would you be able to post a pic with the box on your Jeep? Thanks!

mrbsharkey

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black JLUR
That's great to hear. What model cargo box do you own? Would you be able to post a pic with the box on your Jeep? Thanks!
Sure, would have in the original post but I was AFK.

I have the Rhino Rack Gutter Mount Vortex Bars, and I have the Thule Force Medium Cargo Box.

The Box fits great on the 2-door and offers plenty of storage space. I can take out the freedom panels AND open the rear gate fully. No wind noise, very versatile and light weight.

My one gripe is the weight capacity. I hesitate to even list one because I really don't know what the true weight limit is. The gutters on the Jeep are the weakest link. I try to keep only around 50lbs of gear in the cargo box, lightweight but bulky items like my tent, sleeping bags and pads, my fold up chairs, etc.). I could probably carry more, but I don't risk it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thule cargo box installed IMG_4545.CR2

turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Could you share the actual dimensions of your box? I'm looking at the Thule site and don't see a "medium" box. They only show sport, large, XL, and XXL.

Sponsored

mrbsharkey

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black JLUR
Could you share the actual dimensions of your box? I'm looking at the Thule site and don't see a "medium" box. They only show sport, large, XL, and XXL.
Sure, I bought my box from Amazon. I was able to pull up the listing, however I do see it's sold out. Maybe they updated to a new model in the meantime?

Here is a sizing chart for comparison:
Jeep Wrangler JL Thule cargo box installed Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 12.52.58 PM

Again mine is the medium one, so 65" X 34.5" X 16"

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Sure, would have in the original post but I was AFK.

I have the Rhino Rack Gutter Mount Vortex Bars, and I have the Thule Force Medium Cargo Box.

The Box fits great on the 2-door and offers plenty of storage space. I can take out the freedom panels AND open the rear gate fully. No wind noise, very versatile and light weight.

My one gripe is the weight capacity. I hesitate to even list one because I really don't know what the true weight limit is. The gutters on the Jeep are the weakest link. I try to keep only around 50lbs of gear in the cargo box, lightweight but bulky items like my tent, sleeping bags and pads, my fold up chairs, etc.). I could probably carry more, but I don't risk it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thule cargo box installed Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 12.52.58 PM
This rack/box setup looks perfect!

Which model Vortex rack did you buy? The SG59 or SG60? According to the Rhino Rack website, these two models have different length bars. I want to put the racks in the same positions that you did. I want to make sure the bars fit in those spots. Thanks!!

mrbsharkey

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black JLUR
Which model Vortex rack did you buy? The SG59 or SG60? According to the Rhino Rack website, these two models have different length bars. I want to put the racks in the same positions that you did. I want to make sure the bars fit in those spots. Thanks!!
It looks like I ordered the Rhino-Rack SG59 Gutter-Mount Vortex 2-Bar Roof Rack

nle

First Name
Nov
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

For those with roof / ski boxes mounted to the rear section of the hard tops, how is the wind noise on the highway and MPG? Is it bearable?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
For those with roof / ski boxes mounted to the rear section of the hard tops, how is the wind noise on the highway and MPG? Is it bearable?
Wind noise is def bearable on the highway. MPG probs takes a slight hit. We keep our full length shovels and traction ramps out of the way up there. Plus use a quick easy access ski rack. Overall has been a super useful investment that adds a ton more storage capacity all throughout the year. With the tunes on - you really do not notice the additional wind noise as the JL is a brick to begin with.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thule cargo box installed 823631A0-5FDB-4E6E-84DA-63D9C61F3164
Sponsored