Sponsored

The need for off-road lighting

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I have had might JLUR for about 6 months and I have been blown away with the LED headlights. I was planning on getting a few pair of offraod lights, both flood and beams but with as bright as the LED's are I am now second guessing myself. Can anyone chime in on their experience with LED off road lights in addition to the LED head lights. Is it over kill or does it help. I will not be doing a ton of night off road driving (as of yet there has been zero night off road) but if I will need them I would rather have them ready to go before I venture out at night.
Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
The only lights I run beyond LED headlights are a pair of Baja Designs driving lights that I use to supplement my high beams and double as extra light on the occasional evening, night wheeling.

They really help light up two lane highways at night. I actually have them relayed off my high bean switch so they go on/off when I use high beams.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-pro-led-driving-combo.asp

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You would be amazed how useless headlights can be in offroad situations. Good quality correct beam pattern offroad lighting can be extremely useful offroad. Just stick to the cardinal rule, the higher on the vehicle, the narrower the beam, the lower, the wider. Floods down low (bumper) and spots up high (windshield bar.)

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
The only lights I run beyond LED headlights are a pair of Baja Designs driving lights that I use to supplement my high beams and double as extra light on the occasional evening, night wheeling.

They really help light up two lane highways at night. I actually have them relayed off my high bean switch so they go on/off when I use high beams.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-r-pro-led-driving-combo.asp
Any tips on how you wired them in? I am looking to wire in a pair of Aux lights (driving beam, safe for on coming traffic) into my low beam circuit, and I think I know how to do it, but I am not sure. Can I just tap into the hot wire for the low beams, or do I need to add a relay and separate source of power? (I have the Aux switches, so switched power is not hard to come by, but not sure.) Any advice you have would be great. Thx.

Dirtdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Dont run accessory lights on the road, unless they are SAE (like the rigid SAE fog pattern). Theres no reason with the LED headlamps that you need additional lighting that's safe for oncoming traffic. Even from Baja Designs, what I personally consider one of the best beam patterns, the driving pattern does not have a cutoff that would allow you to run any usable light on the roadway without blinding the hell out of people.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Dont run accessory lights on the road, unless they are SAE (like the rigid SAE fog pattern). Theres no reason with the LED headlamps that you need additional lighting that's safe for oncoming traffic. Even from Baja Designs, what I personally consider one of the best beam patterns, the driving pattern does not have a cutoff that would allow you to run any usable light on the roadway without blinding the hell out of people.
I don’t have the OEM LED lights and I do plan to use a rigid SAE pattern, taking care to aim for traffic safety. Stock OEM non-LED lights are slightly better than JK, but still weak sauce.
Sponsored