First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Hey there - first post. I have done quite a bit of mods with m JLUR and it's been great. During this downtime, I installed a CB, and am picking up transmissions, but don't seem to get much back. The catch is - is it distance, my final messed up, people just ignoring?

I am using a firestick 4' mounted on my tire carrier. I know this isn't the best spot, and I'm mainly planning on this for offroad trips. I tuned my antenna and am getting an SWR of 1.5 of 1 and 1.4 on 40. Good enough, but not great.

My question is, without buying another CB to test this out, is anyone willing to help me test this out to check that my communications are running? I did talk to a trucker at one point, but haven't talked to anyone since making adjustments. I'm worried I screwed up something. Ground is good and tested with a meter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
smgill75

smgill75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just a quick update - out tonight and was able to pull in and talk to someone in Valley Forge - about 30 miles from me. They had quite a home setup. Then again, I just wanted to make sure my transmit was working. Then got some people on the way back about a few miles away. All in all, good to know it works. Will be doing GMRS upcoming this weekend.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
What GMRS radio are you going with? I'm trying to decide if the handheld is a better option for utility's sake, or if I should just get something to compliment the CB and Mobile phone comms I'm already running with. Thanks.

OP
OP
smgill75

smgill75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
What GMRS radio are you going with? I'm trying to decide if the handheld is a better option for utility's sake, or if I should just get something to compliment the CB and Mobile phone comms I'm already running with. Thanks.
Well, let me first start off with that I am no expert. I decided to go with MXT275. I already have the Cobra 75 WX all-in one and thought I would do something complimentary. I didn't realize until after I ordered that the speaker is integrated into the 275 and not on the mic / unit like the Cobra. At least that's what I read. I also went with the MXTA24 cable and MXTA26 Whip antenna. I have some ideas on mounting and will post when done. If the 275 radio requires me to keep the main unit out to hear the speaker, I might upgrade to the 400 for the range.

What are you currently doing for CB? Here's my setup:
Jeep Wrangler JL Southeast PA - CB Help cobra_mount

I have a 4' firestick on my Rusty's tire carrier
Jeep Wrangler JL Southeast PA - CB Help 20200514_132438

I saw a nice setup on Facebook where there was a second mic connect in the passenger footwell and the mics got swapped depending on what system was in use.

Kingpre

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, 2013 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar setup. What area of pa are you in? I’m in philly.

Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Well, let me first start off with that I am no expert. I decided to go with MXT275. I already have the Cobra 75 WX all-in one and thought I would do something complimentary. I didn't realize until after I ordered that the speaker is integrated into the 275 and not on the mic / unit like the Cobra. At least that's what I read. I also went with the MXTA24 cable and MXTA26 Whip antenna. I have some ideas on mounting and will post when done. If the 275 radio requires me to keep the main unit out to hear the speaker, I might upgrade to the 400 for the range.

I saw a nice setup on Facebook where there was a second mic connect in the passenger footwell and the mics got swapped depending on what system was in use.
I’m running the 275 myself. You can select whether you want the audio from the handset, the base or both. I’m near Pottstown myself.

OP
OP
smgill75

smgill75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m running the 275 myself. You can select whether you want the audio from the handset, the base or both. I’m near Pottstown myself.
Awesome! That's great to know. I am just working on my dual antenna mounting. I have a couple brackets I'm thinking of. I'll post pics when done.

Are you only doing GMRS or CB as well?

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Awesome! That's great to know. I am just working on my dual antenna mounting. I have a couple brackets I'm thinking of. I'll post pics when done.

Are you only doing GMRS or CB as well?
I do either CB or GMRS. The permanent installs are my Ham radio and the radios I use for Chester County fire.

OP
OP
smgill75

smgill75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I do either CB or GMRS. The permanent installs are my Ham radio and the radios I use for Chester County fire.
Nice. I'm curious how you do this in a modular way. Do you have pics? Are you mounting your antennas up front or using the same coax? I appreciate your help.

Sponsored

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Nice. I'm curious how you do this in a modular way. Do you have pics? Are you mounting your antennas up front or using the same coax? I appreciate your help.
I have the Mopar A Pillar light mounts for my warning lights and I use the open flat space Next to the light for the mag mounts. I install which ever one I‘m going to use. For CB I have a Midland 75-822
Jeep Wrangler JL Southeast PA - CB Help 27E3662E-0291-4615-9B13-4C97A60CC77D

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician

I have the same setup as you, cb wise. I'm still not sure how I'm going to go with the GMRS.

OP
OP
smgill75

smgill75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the same setup as you, cb wise. I'm still not sure how I'm going to go with the GMRS.
I'd like to hear what you decide. How did you ground your CB antenna?

I was just starting my install today and broke the NMO cable. Oops. I wound up using a rugged radio front cow mount, but mounted it next to my hi lift mount, sharing a screw. It tests good for ground and I'll run a short cable between. I'll do a writeup of both setups on my build thread. I found myself obsessing over getting a good ground. I can't finish my setup until Tuesday now, when my replacement cable comes in.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I'd like to hear what you decide. How did you ground your CB antenna?
I used a 12 gauge wire that I ran parallel with the coax and grounded it to the metal body. Scraped off some paint, screwed it in, and sprayed some black spray paint on it. VSWR IS AT ABOUT 1 : 1.3, at channel one. It's good enough for caravanning on the trail.

OP
OP
smgill75

smgill75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'd like to hear what you decide. I was just starting my install today and broke the NMO cable. Oops. I wound up using a rugged radio front cow mount, but mounted it next to my hi lift mount, sharing a screw. It tests good for ground and I'll run a short cable between. I'll do a writeup of both setups on my build thread. I found myself obsessing over getting a good ground. I can't finish my setup until Tuesday now, when my replacement cable comes in.
I used a 12 gauge wire that I ran parallel with the coax and grounded it to the metal body. Scraped off some paint, screwed it in, and sprayed some black spray paint on it. VSWR IS AT ABOUT 1 : 1.3, at channel one. It's good enough for caravanning on the trail.
Thanks. I wound up running a ground strap from the tailgate to, following the cable to a screw near the rear seat belt bracket. I also scraped paint off of the mount. I continuity tested it all, and then the coax connector to the ground stud in the passenger wheel well. All good. I'm running 1 : 1.5 on 1 and 1 : 1.3 40. Seems good enough now. I was going to do the same as you and paint it all once I am settled and happy with it. It looks like maybe a little tuning will help even it out, but I have since had crystal clear conversations at a couple miles. Before scraping the bracket, I was told I was quiet.
Sponsored