Sponsored

Soft top cut open

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
Well working in lovely Los Angeles finally got to my soft top. Only took 6 months for someone to try something.

my driver side vinyl window and tailgate vinyl window were cut open while parked at work. They thankfully couldn’t steal anything, the rodent didn’t realize I have a security box. The ez-trunk did it’s job here but now I’m left to spend $400 for no damn reason.

mercury says they’re not sure if it will be covered under their window & glass policy since it’s a vinyl top. I argue their policy literally says window which these are. we’ll see what they decide otherwise I have to pay a deductible.

if they end up denying it under window glass I want to make sure I have the right part #’s. I need the tinted standard soft top variety.

item #’s:
5VP77SX9AF
5VP89SX9AH

does this look correct?

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top cut open EEEE8FCE-AC34-4D5C-BF8D-09F15EA5FD20
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top cut open 10197CC1-5D2C-4CF8-A5CC-1046B78D64A8
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft top cut open 8FA8BF65-4015-44AE-98B5-B6EEC9ED9A4D

thanks,
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Scum
I hope this works out for you.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Out of curiosity, were your doors locked or unlocked? I don't live in a high crime area like LA, but as a precaution against theft, I always treat my jeep as if the soft top were down and keep the doors unlocked with absolutely nothing of value inside of it in order to protect the top.

Sorry this happened to you :(

OP
OP
Steemax

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
Out of curiosity, were your doors locked or unlocked? I don't live in a high crime area like LA, but as a precaution against theft, I always treat my jeep as if the soft top were down and keep the doors unlocked with absolutely nothing of value inside of it in order to protect the top.

Locked... not sure if the outcome would have been different but you never know.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
OP, sucks that they resorted to cutting the top. :-(

I "broke into" mine one time after I locked my keys inside at the doctor's office. Literally took me like 2 minutes with no damage to my vehicle. Cutting a Jeep top is so unnecessary as it is just as easy to open it and a lot less suspicious.

Sponsored

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
My daughter lives in K-Town in LA. She has a JK. Someone once unzipped her rear window to steal her comforter (she was still moving in). Switched her out to the hardtop next time she was in town. Sucks that they cut yours. Sorry, man.

Ted392

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500, TRX, hmmwv's, 392
That bites. Sorry to hear this.

GMONEY

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2D Rubi Earl
Clubs

Exactly what I used to do and will do once my new Rubi comes in. Only got the soft top so.

OP
OP
Steemax

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
OP, sucks that they resorted to cutting the top. :-(

I "broke into" mine one time after I locked my keys inside at the doctor's office. Literally took me like 2 minutes with no damage to my vehicle. Cutting a Jeep top is so unnecessary as it is just as easy to open it and a lot less suspicious.
Very unnecessary, just crossing my fingers my insurance covers it. They said i'll hear back in 48 hours.

My daughter lives in K-Town in LA. She has a JK. Someone once unzipped her rear window to steal her comforter (she was still moving in). Switched her out to the hardtop next time she was in town. Sucks that they cut yours. Sorry, man.
Kind of wish they went with zippers again to avoid this but knowing how little brain cells are left here they would still cut.

I was already planning on a hard top down the road but it's too pricey right now and I hear it takes a while to get one and I haven't had luck finding a used one local so far.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
Very unnecessary, just crossing my fingers my insurance covers it. They said i'll hear back in 48 hours.

Kind of wish they went with zippers again to avoid this but knowing how little brain cells are left here they would still cut.

I was already planning on a hard top down the road but it's too pricey right now and I hear it takes a while to get one and I haven't had luck finding a used one local so far.
That's a bummer. Her JK came with dual top group, so we already had it. Tough situation for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steemax

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
Well Mercury doesn't want to cover it under window/glass policy... Only comprehensive but the deductible is more than the parts. I'll order replacements but will drive to work with the taped up ones for now until I move to work from home in February. Don't want to risk the new ones getting slashed as well.

wranglervsbronco

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 4xe
Well working in lovely Los Angeles finally got to my soft top. Only took 6 months for someone to try something.

my driver side vinyl window and tailgate vinyl window were cut open while parked at work. They thankfully couldn’t steal anything, the rodent didn’t realize I have a security box. The ez-trunk did it’s job here but now I’m left to spend $400 for no damn reason.

mercury says they’re not sure if it will be covered under their window & glass policy since it’s a vinyl top. I argue their policy literally says window which these are. we’ll see what they decide otherwise I have to pay a deductible.

if they end up denying it under window glass I want to make sure I have the right part #’s. I need the tinted standard soft top variety.

item #’s:
5VP77SX9AF
5VP89SX9AH

does this look correct?

thanks,
Made an account just to chime in, had my top cut into overnight too. waiting for an insurance adjuster to come by next week. Hopefully they will agree for me to get a hard top rather than another soft top. Truck is 2 weeks old....

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
@Steemax
Damn that sucks, guy!

Could always do like I do and leave your rear windows off most of the year. Honestly a large part of the reason why I leave my windows off on my Wrangler is for just this reason. If someone wants to get into my Wrangler, they don't even have to cut the window, you can just as easily pry off the back window and then climb through that opening.

I would know, I've done it before. Locked both sets of keys in my Wrangler on day two while the vehicle was running. I thought I was going to have to cut the window to get in, but I was able to get the back window off in about 30 seconds just by undoing the plastic tabs and sliding the rear window sideways. Honestly it was kind of a shocking moment of realization, as to just how easy it is to break into a soft top. After that I pretty much never put the sides with the rear window on, because why bother!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

instead of spending $400 or more for new window just save a little more and upgrade to the premium soft top. i picked up a brand new one off someone for $600. just talked to someone else who scored one for $500. plenty out there for $1k. its worth the upgrade. ive had both.
Sponsored