Sponsored

Silver lining - I get to go topless

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
The silver lining to this pandemic cloud for me is that I will be able to spend most of the summer in an area that is well suited to going topless for the summer. So I plan on removing the soft top for the summer. I will have to go back and forth to the city occasionally (maybe one out of 4 weeks or so), but I have covered and secure parking there. My only concern for cargo security is when I'm on the highway and pull over at a rest stop. I also plan to remove the top and doors and use a set of tube half-doors. I should be able to avoid driving when there is heavy rain. I won't be parking in a garage.

My questions are:

1) When driving on the interstate I will be crossing MA, RI, CT, and NY. Will I have any legal issues with the half doors or even practical issues at sustained speeds with them?
2) For light/moderate rain I am planning to get the Mopar vinyl bikini top or equivalent, for use if I get caught in a shower. Anybody want to share their experience with that approach?
3) For overnight or during bad weather I'm going to use a trail cover from Raingear Covers. Any issue with using such a cover regularly for overnight parking in the driveway? Or are they not designed for that?
4) Any other general recommendations, like a security cover, etc?

Thanks for any advice!

p.s. It's a 2 door Sport
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I put the Tuffy tailgate box in my '19 JLR and it was very useful. I could fit my laptop, iPad Pro, lunch, purse, as well as my soft shackle and gloves. It is useful for securing things while out and about.

IMG_6194-X3.jpg

I installed it by removing the tailgate liner to save space:
IMG_6195-X3.jpg

I'll put it on my '20 JLUR until I get the Diabolical Slipstream.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you get stopped for not having doors you can ask if motorcycles have doors and seat belts. I'm sure any police officer would appreciate you pointing that out to them.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Rampage makes a fabric rear tonneau for 2-dr (I think it's for rear seat folded down, assuming you're not hauling people..)
Look for part number 741135, it's like $60-$70. I'm not sure I'd call it security as much as a deterrent or rain cover. They also have a windjammer to make the drive a little less blowy at speed and a solid bikini that looks marginally rain resistant, unsure how it compares to the Mopar one.

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
I think in MA you just gotta make sure you have your side mirrors

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
In N.Y. to answer your 1st question you can have any type door or no doors but you must have mirrors. Sorry I don't have experience with those aftermarket tops.
Sponsored