Sponsored

Silver antenna when everything else is black?

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I agree that silver antenna was an eyesore. I went with this one and haven’t noticed a loss in reception.

Rydonair Antenna Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-2019) | 13 inches Flexible Rubber Antenna Replacement | Designed for Optimized FM/AM Reception https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDFQDVJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_biH8FbGCJT43T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is the first thing I installed back in 2019. Several co-workers have installed this on their Ram trucks too.
Sponsored

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Snipped mine off at preferred height. Painted black using a bit of spray bed liner left over from my rock slider project. No apparent loss of reception. Will do the same when the new JLURD snazzy arrives. Using my method will call for touch-up painting though.

antenna.jpg

Pirate63

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL80
Why they would install a silver antenna on a vehicle where everything else is black baffles me? Their design team needs a good punch in the throat. I did not want to sacrifice reception and I don't care much for the look of the rubber stubbies. I am sure there are some out there that look good but reception is important to me so I went with the same antenna, 3" shorter, but in black. Looks much better

Amazon.com: AntennaMastsRus - 31 Inch Black Antenna is Compatible with Jeep Wrangler JK - JL | Gladiator (2007-2021) - Spiral Wind Noise Cancellation - Spring Steel Construction - Stainless Steel Threading

Jeep Wrangler JL Silver antenna when everything else is black? antenna
I went with this exact one also.

bigmaduros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sport Altitude - Almost Here
I like it and ended up buying the same brand, just a little shorter.

It looks much better in black and with the one that I picked up, the reception is still good (now it's just a little below the roof line).

Win~win
Jeep Wrangler JL Silver antenna when everything else is black? antenna
I ordered the same one.... When it arrived, it didn't appear sized correctly for the nut to tighten it.

Tried 3/8, 7/16 and several metric wrenchs... got one that was close but when tightening, even with tape it marred the finish a little... Anyone else experience a sizing issue with the nut on bottom of antenna?

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the same one.... When it arrived, it didn't appear sized correctly for the nut to tighten it.

Tried 3/8, 7/16 and several metric wrenchs... got one that was close but when tightening, even with tape it marred the finish a little... Anyone else experience a sizing issue with the nut on bottom of antenna?
I believe I used the same wrench that I did when I removed the original antenna. I don't recall having a problem. The original was not on very tight, so I just tightened the new one down about the same. (Next time I go out to the garage I will see what size wrench I used). Is it possible that you overtightened it?

You could always use an adjustable wrench (Crescent) so that there is no chance of marring the finish.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this. I'll probably get one. Wish it was stock height though as I like the idea of a 5" warning before I hit my roof!
A couple weeks back, my wife picked up a nail on her way to work. It gave me an excuse to break out my new arb tire repair kit, and exercise the twin compressor.

She parks on the 3rd level of a secured parking garage, and my Rubi was at stock height on 35's the last time it was in that garage. It's now lifted 4.25" higher and on 38's. I crept in slowly knowing the antenna would hit 1st, and hit it did. I got out to get a better look, but still had about 3ish inches above the hardtop. If there were speed bumps, it wouldn't have happened, but I was able to slink my way up to her car and complete the mission. I think I'll keep the early warning.

_Luckyone

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I installed a shorter one that I also use on my Harley touring bike and for some reason at highway speed it banged against the cab and was very distracting.

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
Black is cool but my JL is Billet Silver so the stock antenna doesn't bother me one bit. Height is the perfect low ceiling feeler for open Sunrider top.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Black is cool but my JL is Billet Silver so the stock antenna doesn't bother me one bit. Height is the perfect low ceiling feeler for open Sunrider top.
Billet silver here also. Maybe that's the reason that I've never given the color of the antenna a second thought.

Later,
Johnny

bigmaduros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sport Altitude - Almost Here
I believe I used the same wrench that I did when I removed the original antenna. I don't recall having a problem. The original was not on very tight, so I just tightened the new one down about the same. (Next time I go out to the garage I will see what size wrench I used). Is it possible that you overtightened it?

You could always use an adjustable wrench (Crescent) so that there is no chance of marring the finish.
Took extra care to not over tighten or mar the finish.. I actually tried several different size wrenches and nothing fit snug. I used the 3/8 to get the silver one off without a problem.. Made in china so maybe it was "just close enough" on the sizing....lol

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase

I finally was able to check on mine. The correct wrench appears to be a 10mm. That being said, it only fits in one position. I do not know if this is by design or not. While it looks like it should fit in any position on the hex shaped base (nut) all of them are different (larger) with the exception of one position.

Give this a try. Take a 10 mm wrench and try putting it on in differing positions. I'll bet you will find one that fits, knowing that the hex base (nut) is not equally symmetrical.

Hopefully I am explaining this right. Let me know if that works.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I finally was able to check on mine. The correct wrench appears to be a 10mm. That being said, it only fits in one position. I do not know if this is by design or not. While it looks like it should fit in any position on the hex shaped base (nut) all of them are different (larger) with the exception of one position.

Give this a try. Take a 10 mm wrench and try putting it on in differing positions. I'll bet you will find one that fits, knowing that the hex base (nut) is not equally symmetrical.

Hopefully I am explaining this right. Let me know if that works.
I ended up getting one and noticed this too. I just put tape around the base and used an adjustable wrench. Was much easier than monkeying around with finding the correct size!
Sponsored