Sponsored

Show me your off-road trailers

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Started with an Aluma AE46 and built a small lift for it. I used some 1.5" spacers and adapted the hubs to 5x5. I've pulled it from NC to CA so far. Here in a couple weeks I'll be heading to the Colorado Jamboree with it and then bring it and the Jeep back home to NC. It's a great way to haul camping gear and spare parts and such. Small package, super light, and a super easy conversion to match the Jeep. (Paint, 37's w/beadlocks)

1.jpg
IMG_2269.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2279.JPG
THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!! WELL DONE!

Is the trailer a straight axle? Do you have any pictures of your spacers? Thanks
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!! WELL DONE!

Is the trailer a straight axle? Do you have any pictures of your spacers? Thanks
It is a straight axle trailer. It has the 1200# torsion axle. Here's a pic of the spacer...the only I have. I guess I didn't take any of it before I put them on.

It's a 2x4", 1/4" wall steel box tube painted black. Very simple to make and a very strong lift solution. (Just a block to raise the box off the axle by about 3 1/2".) The lift on the Jeep is the ST3 kit by Teraflex so the two work well together height wise.

14.jpg

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For all you guys, what are some features you’d love to see vs must haves on an Offroad Trailer if someone was going to start with a blank slate?

Brett

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That seems priced cheap!

Brett
I think they're affordable at $3k new, but almost half that for a used one is a damn good deal, especially most trailers like just sit in a garage somewhere and are used for vacations. Someone could pick this one up and have it modded and be into for less than 4500 easily.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
For all you guys, what are some features you’d love to see vs must haves on an Offroad Trailer if someone was going to start with a blank slate?

Brett
Just a quick list. Obviously, not complete.

Must have:

Articulating hitch (If you're going off-road)
Deep cycle battery connected through your 7-pin connector for recharging while driving
Skid plate for axle
Spare tire
Everything must be water tight

Love to see:

Small fresh water tank for dishes and general use. Shower if you're camping somewhere without a bath house.
Generator housing or dedicated spot for one
Independent suspension
Olivia Wilde on call for all camping trips
Exterior lighting (Cube lights or Light bar)

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
This might not be what you'd have in mind for an off-road trailer. But we are buying one of these this weekend. It's a bit heavy for the Wrangler (3000# dry / 415# hitch wt). Though the Jeep won't be our primary tow vehicle we are looking into beefing up the hitch and using sway/load control to enable safe towing.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick list. Obviously, not complete.

Must have:

Articulating hitch (If you're going off-road)
Deep cycle battery connected through your 7-pin connector for recharging while driving
Skid plate for axle
Spare tire
Everything must be water tight

Love to see:

Small fresh water tank for dishes and general use. Shower if you're camping somewhere without a bath house.
Generator housing or dedicated spot for one
Independent suspension
Olivia Wilde on call for all camping trips
Exterior lighting (Cube lights or Light bar)
What dimensions would you consider ideal?

Brett

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
What dimensions would you consider ideal?

Brett
What's the intention? A trailer like mine or a true camper?

Camper... the bed size usually dictates the size. Most are queen size.

I'm a tent and hammock camper, so the 4x6 one I bought is perfect for everything I carry including jack stands, tools, and spare parts for the Jeepin' adventures.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the intention? A trailer like mine or a true camper?

Camper... the bed size usually dictates the size. Most are queen size.

I'm a tent and hammock camper, so the 4x6 one I bought is perfect for everything I carry including jack stands, tools, and spare parts for the Jeepin' adventures.
Just trying to get some feedback. Have a buddy wanting to build one and trying to get some ideas on what people would be looking for. I’m thinking like yours but a little larger. It’s such a balancing act maintaining ground clearance, utility and features while making it practical. I’m excited to see what he comes up with because it’s going to be pretty dang slick

Brett

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Just trying to get some feedback. Have a buddy wanting to build one and trying to get some ideas on what people would be looking for. I’m thinking like yours but a little larger. It’s such a balancing act maintaining ground clearance, utility and features while making it practical. I’m excited to see what he comes up with because it’s going to be pretty dang slick

Brett
That's awesome. There's a company that makes the independent suspension for trailers... https://timbren.com/axle-less/

I love their design, but I won't really have a need for something that hardcore since mine is 99% camping. It's been down Hurricane Creek here in NC, but that's about the extent of its off-roading.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This might not be what you'd have in mind for an off-road trailer. But we are buying one of these this weekend. It's a bit heavy for the Wrangler (3000# dry / 415# hitch wt). Though the Jeep won't be our primary tow vehicle we are looking into beefing up the hitch and using sway/load control to enable safe towing.

Make sure to report back and let us know how the JL tows that behemoth. :)
Sponsored