Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
I have my build sheet, so I am confident that its finally been built. Now when I get it is a diff q altogether. all i know from previous experience is, when i step into that finance managers office he is going to swamp me with crap that i might or might not need and a service contract / extended warranty is one of them.

being a first year model i like the idea of extended warranty (I did the same for my '19 RAM ), but I am planning on modding this Jeep unlike my stock truck. not right away, but eventually.

so folks are getting the 4Xe - you guys going for the extended warranty?
Sponsored

Richard_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
I have my build sheet, so I am confident that its finally been built. Now when I get it is a diff q altogether. all i know from previous experience is, when i step into that finance managers office he is going to swamp me with crap that i might or might not need and a service contract / extended warranty is one of them.

being a first year model i like the idea of extended warranty (I did the same for my '19 RAM ), but I am planning on modding this Jeep unlike my stock truck. not right away, but eventually.

so folks are getting the 4Xe - you guys going for the extended warranty?
Some thoghts...
The finance person will only swamp you with crap you won't need. You beat the salesman to death with your haggling and the finance person is the dealer's last line of defense for keeping profit high. Don't give up the fight in the last 30 minutes!

If you do buy an extended warranty (Mopar only!!), buy it online after quotes from several sites. You can get instant quotes for many of them. The prices will be a least half of what the dealer quotes.... Unless you live in Florida, in which case you will need to come up with an out of state address (use a cousin's, or something).

As for an extended warranty on a 4xe, it's a tough call. Yes, first year 'complicated' vehicles have issues. But a lot of them are easily solved under warranty in the first few months of ownership. where you can't use the extended warranty anyways. Many are software updates, some are a wire here or there needs to be tightened. If you don't think you will keep it more than 5 years, don't bother with an extended. You get a prorated amount back if you cancel, but don't expect the next buyer to care about it, especially if you are trading in.

Consider too that a 4xe is not that much more complicated mechanically than regular 2.0T. This is why there is no increase in warranty cost of a 4xe vs a 2.0T. Electric motors have very few moving parts, and are rarely the cause of concern. More risky is the battery. They do get old and tired and stop holding a charge after 10 years of heavy usage. Heat is the enemy so a 4xe in hot climate will wear out sooner. The good news is that the 4xe has a special warranty to cover the battery for most of its useful life. After that, you are looking at a $4-5K to replace a 4xe battery. If your 15 year old 4xe is still worth at least $20K, it may be worth it extend its life.

Most importantly, you can wait a 3 years or 36K miles to add a Mopar warranty to your vehicle, so there is no rush. Theya re lying to you when they say you have buy one when you finance the Jeep. He's hoping you can't come up with the $1000-$1500 for the warranty and are forced to roll it into the loan. And if you do roll it into the loan, you can't just cancel it and get your pro-rated refund back like you can if you paid cash. The loan complicates things because the check has to go to bank.

EDIT: I see you want to mod your 4xe. Then maybe an extended isn't the answer for you. The only mod that would be covered is the Mopar lifts up to 4" (and of course there is no Mopar 4" lift). Your extended will still be in place, but making claims will be more difficult since they will try their darndest to blame the failure on your mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WannFly

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
Some thoghts...
The finance person will only swamp you with crap you won't need. You beat the salesman to death with your haggling and the finance person is the dealer's last line of defense for keeping profit high. Don't give up the fight in the last 30 minutes!

If you do buy an extended warranty (Mopar only!!), buy it online after quotes from several sites. You can get instant quotes for many of them. The prices will be a least half of what the dealer quotes.... Unless you live in Florida, in which case you will need to come up with an out of state address (use a cousin's, or something).

As for an extended warranty on a 4xe, it's a tough call. Yes, first year 'complicated' vehicles have issues. But a lot of them are easily solved under warranty in the first few months of ownership. where you can't use the extended warranty anyways. Many are software updates, some are a wire here or there needs to be tightened. If you don't think you will keep it more than 5 years, don't bother with an extended. You get a prorated amount back if you cancel, but don't expect the next buyer to care about it, especially if you are trading in.

Consider too that a 4xe is not that much more complicated mechanically than regular 2.0T. This is why there is no increase in warranty cost of a 4xe vs a 2.0T. Electric motors have very few moving parts, and are rarely the cause of concern. More risky is the battery. They do get old and tired and stop holding a charge after 10 years of heavy usage. Heat is the enemy so a 4xe in hot climate will wear out sooner. The good news is that the 4xe has a special warranty to cover the battery for most of its useful life. After that, you are looking at a $4-5K to replace a 4xe battery. If your 15 year old 4xe is still worth at least $20K, it may be worth it extend its life.

Most importantly, you can wait a 3 years or 36K miles to add a Mopar warranty to your vehicle, so there is no rush. Theya re lying to you when they say you have buy one when you finance the Jeep. He's hoping you can't come up with the $1000-$1500 for the warranty and are forced to roll it into the loan. And if you do roll it into the loan, you can't just cancel it and get your pro-rated refund back like you can if you paid cash. The loan complicates things because the check has to go to bank.

thanks for chiming in. I was kinda thinking in similar terms. for my RAM i bought it online after 1 year into the ownership. it has been flawless from day 1, so time will tell if i will actually need that warranty or not.

about the finance manager.. yeah I am not going to give in. recently the lady bought a Q3 and i was there listening to the finance guy blabber for 60 mins on whats "required" for the brand new car and he was pushing for 10K warranty. the lady was about to agree when i chimed in and say its a waste of money, dont spend it. thats the only statement i made in his office to the entire duration and i could see the finance guy's expression reads - GTFO :d :d
Sponsored