Salt Lake City help

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I've wanted a Jeep since I was 17 (2+ decades ago). Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2019 JLUR back in September. Still awaiting delivery.

I ordered a manual -- and I had planned on flying my Dad (and my Mom) out to help me pick it up from the dealer as I've only driven stick once or twice many years ago, but my Mom had to undergo emergency surgery this week. Thankfully, she's fine but unable to travel.

Cars with manual transmission are tough to find these days. Anyone in the SLC area with a manual willing to teach me the ropes?

If nothing else, I'm certain the replies on this thread will be entertaining.
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Fly me out to SLC and I'll pick it up for you. I'm thinking of moving there anyway.

All jokes aside the 6 speed has a ~very~ forgiving clutch, with a distinct "break" point in the travel where it engages. If you understand how a manual works, you can drive your jeep.

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
As long as you don't have to stop on any hills before you get used to it you should be fine, just remember to give it some throttle. Every time I teach someone how to drive stick they go way to light on the throttle and end up killing it.

Which dealer did you buy from? If it's the one I work for I can pester the sales people to find one that'll help you out. Only manual I currently have is my race car, and you don't want to learn in that (it's got a broken axle currently anyway).

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
As long as you don't have to stop on any hills before you get used to it you should be fine, just remember to give it some throttle. Every time I teach someone how to drive stick they go way to light on the throttle and end up killing it.

Which dealer did you buy from? If it's the one I work for I can pester the sales people to find one that'll help you out. Only manual I currently have is my race car, and you don't want to learn in that (it's got a broken axle currently anyway).
It's actually got hill start assist. It's picky about how you use it though. When you stop on a hill, you have to put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch with your right foot on the brake. When you put it back in first and take your foot of the brake, it should hold you for 5 seconds or so.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I would ask to drive a manual on their lot, preferably used. You can practice on that?

Sponsored

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
When I purchased my first stick, I had no experience driving the stick, so had the car delivered to my place. Over the weekend, my friend visited me and taught me to drive the stick in my own car.

Recently was in Europe, stick rental was much cheaper. Glad I knew how to drive the stick.

OP
OP

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Fly me out to SLC and I'll pick it up for you. I'm thinking of moving there anyway.

All jokes aside the 6 speed has a ~very~ forgiving clutch, with a distinct "break" point in the travel where it engages. If you understand how a manual works, you can drive your jeep.
That's what I'm thinking but it's been a while. Hoping to find a manual to practice a bit and get my touch back before I take delivery. Appreciate the vote of confidence though.
Sponsored