Rock Lights Advise

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I was given a set of 4 rock lights and not sure if I will install. I am not interested in just for looks or light shows. What are some of the practical uses and best place to mount? I thought they might help in repairs or digging out if there not in my face blinding me. I see many mounted in the fender wells but wouldn't help changing a tire or airing up. Maybe picking rocks out of the tread. Thanks
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It's best to mount them as far outward to the perimeter of the Jeep as possible, without being in a spot that they could get sheered off. The goal is to get the light in a spot that illuminates around the tires with minimal shadows. Typically an 8 pack of lights is the minimum needed to reach a desired amount of light, while minimizing shadows because multiple lights provide overlapping patterns. 4 packs are geared more towards those looking for wheelwell lighting.

If you're not looking to expand beyond that 4 pack, I'd suggest a bit of initial experimentation. Temporarily power them, and try a couple of different placements. First, try placing 1 on each side, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back. Having them equidistant between the tires will help share the light between those 2 tires. If it's not enough light, try 2 on each side. A good starting point would be about a foot back from the front of the rock rail and a foot forward from the back end of the rail.