Repair broken body bolts

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I got lucky with my rock slider repair. No broken body bolts. But I had several plans in mind in the event I did break one during removal. The first was to try to use an easy out from underneath to try to pull the broken end out. After actually pulling the bolt, I can see that would be quite challenging to even be able to see what to drill into. The next idea (and I think I read this somewhere, but cant find the article now) was to remove the carpet above the bolt and drill down thru the body pan. Since the end of the bolt is tapered, I don’t know exactly how I’d get an easy out drill in there to start the extraction process. I believe the article I read said the guy used a 2” metal hole drill and opened up the floor to have full access to the body isolator the bolt is in. Then you’d pull the nut and the broken bolt, replace the nut and body bolt, then epoxy some sheet metal in the access hole.

Anyway, I thought it would be useful if someone who has actually fixed one of the broken body bolts to describe the process they used.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Jondrew

A Jeep, Tech I know has removed two broken JL body bolts so far.

Anyway, tech told me, he was able to access and remove the remainder of the broken bolt by loosening, / removing the remaining bolts and then tilting the body a bit. He was then able to access and remove the broken bolt(s)

He did say ot was not a fun job and it required that another tech helped him here and there. He implied that the removal process took well over two hours shop time.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@Jondrew

A Jeep, Tech I know has removed two broken JL body bolts so far.

Anyway, tech told me, he was able to access and remove the remainder of the broken bolt by loosening, / removing the remaining bolts and then tilting the body a bit. He was then able to access and remove the broken bolt(s)

He did say ot was not a fun job and it required that another tech helped him here and there. He implied that the removal process took well over two hours shop time.
Good think I like my sliders. I’ll never do that job again
Sponsored