First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Consultant
There have been a few posts on this already, but some steps or photos were missing so I thought I'd post this.

My 2020 JLU Rubicon with Sky One Touch top finally had the front rivets sheer off which prevents the top from securing tightly to the frame. The tension strap ends up being loose and the top will lift from the track in the wind. Here is the progression. First, my passenger rivet broke. I removed the rivet, put a screw in and thought how fantastic I was. Then, 2 days later, it was broken again! The screw was still in place in the bar; however the nut had rattled loose and the strap came out once again. I also noticed that the driver side rivet also failed! So I had 2 failed rivets (and a failed repair, smh). I decided to use Loctite this time and it worked like a charm. It's been holding up GREAT for the past week. No downtime at the dealership. No new top. No issues. So, here are the steps:

1) Crush and remove bottom part of the rivet below the bar with vice grips (repeat until mostly flush with bar and bottom removed).
2) Gently punch the rivet up through the hole to un seat any remaining portion that is grabbing. Use Hammer and Nail Punch.
3) Once dislodged slightly, use vice grips from top to pull rivet out of hole.
4) Install #8 - 1/2 Inch Flat head screw with nut and loctite threadlocker (Bar/Strap/Bar)

The screws and nuts cost $4 from Lowes. The loctite cost $7.50 (I used the Blue 242).

The photos are attached. Hopefully this helps others. Thanks to the others on the forum that have done this ahead of me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 1-Broken - Rivet Still in hole un touched
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 2 - Close up of rivet with top bar no longer attached
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 3 - Close up of top of rivet which failed - bar no longer attached
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 4 - Use Vice Grips to crush rivet and remove bulge at bottom
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 5 - After using nail punch up grab from above and pull out
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 6 - Top part of rivet that failed - You can see top sheered off
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 7 - Screw through Bar - Strap - Bar with nut fastened with loctite
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 8 - Flat head on screw
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 9 - Tools used to remove rivet
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 10 - Screw and nut used from lowes
Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I don’t have my Jeep with SOT yet but my question is.. why not just put in a new rivet? Is there an access problem or do you think the nut and bolt will be a better long term solution?

OP
OP
gamecocks9799

gamecocks9799

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
I don’t have my Jeep with SOT yet but my question is.. why not just put in a new rivet? Is there an access problem or do you think the nut and bolt will be a better long term solution?
Good question. Couple of factors here.

1) I am no expert in rivet guns, but there is VERY little space above the screw head when it is in place through the tension strap. I can barely get my finger through between the top of the screw and the bottom of the canvas top. This is primarily because the bar is enclosed in a sleeve affixed to the top. The top cannot be lifted any higher than you see in pic 8-Flat Head on Screw. There just is no space.

2) According to other posters on this forum, and the Warranty admin at the Jeep Dealership I spoke with, Jeep's fix is to replace the entire top because the parts cannot be ordered separately. This seems strange, but that is what I've heard.

So there may be a better fix, but that's all I could manage. Hoping it lasts at least as long as the rivet (which was 2.5 years). If it fails, I know how to fix it. If it fails in the next 6 months, I'll be going to Jeep for a warranty replacement however.

Bottom line is that my top has not leaked since purchasing it and I've heard of many others having leaking issues so I figure if I don't have to introduce any issues (and more importantly, be without my Jeep for weeks on end waiting for a new top), I'm further ahead.

Even if you're going to get a warranty repair that suggests a new top, why wouldn't you do this in the meantime when waiting for the top and get to keep your Jeep?

Sponsored

jesnamy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bikini (Amy)
There have been a few posts on this already, but some steps or photos were missing so I thought I'd post this.

My 2020 JLU Rubicon with Sky One Touch top finally had the front rivets sheer off which prevents the top from securing tightly to the frame. The tension strap ends up being loose and the top will lift from the track in the wind. Here is the progression. First, my passenger rivet broke. I removed the rivet, put a screw in and thought how fantastic I was. Then, 2 days later, it was broken again! The screw was still in place in the bar; however the nut had rattled loose and the strap came out once again. I also noticed that the driver side rivet also failed! So I had 2 failed rivets (and a failed repair, smh). I decided to use Loctite this time and it worked like a charm. It's been holding up GREAT for the past week. No downtime at the dealership. No new top. No issues. So, here are the steps:

1) Crush and remove bottom part of the rivet below the bar with vice grips (repeat until mostly flush with bar and bottom removed).
2) Gently punch the rivet up through the hole to un seat any remaining portion that is grabbing. Use Hammer and Nail Punch.
3) Once dislodged slightly, use vice grips from top to pull rivet out of hole.
4) Install #8 - 1/2 Inch Flat head screw with nut and loctite threadlocker (Bar/Strap/Bar)

The screws and nuts cost $4 from Lowes. The loctite cost $7.50 (I used the Blue 242).

The photos are attached. Hopefully this helps others. Thanks to the others on the forum that have done this ahead of me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Sky One Touch Broken Front Rivets / Tension Strap – Repair DIY Instructions 10 - Screw and nut used from lowes
Thanks for all the details!! I will be doing this soon. We’ve just be re-attaching strap just before fully closing. Getting old. Time to fix it already.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Good write up on an old issue that Jeep has to be aware of and should have come up with a fix for by now. Maybe just maybe If we all have them replaced under warranty they might determine a fix would be cheaper.

OP
OP
gamecocks9799

gamecocks9799

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Good write up on an old issue that Jeep has to be aware of and should have come up with a fix for by now. Maybe just maybe If we all have them replaced under warranty they might determine a fix would be cheaper.
Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you 1000% percent. I'm not a fan of fixing a warrantied part. Doesn't make sense.

In present times however, with supply chain issues (parts back ordered for months in some cases), and the local dealerships tech suggesting the whole top needs to be replaced, and not wanting to be without the jeep for weeks during the summer off roading season, I feel compelled in this case.

I get your thought though.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I
Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you 1000% percent. I'm not a fan of fixing a warrantied part. Doesn't make sense.

In present times however, with supply chain issues (parts back ordered for months in some cases), and the local dealerships tech suggesting the whole top needs to be replaced, and not wanting to be without the jeep for weeks during the summer off roading season, I feel compelled in this case.

I get your thought though.
I get your reasoning . My point is that Jeep has done nothing to correct a well known long standing issue and continues to make them with the know defect. The question is what will it take to pressure them to design a permanent fix. Aggravation speaking, I seldom use it for fear of the chintzy rivets breaking and didn’t get it to Not Use! Anyway- now I know how to fix it should it break , thanks

OP
OP
gamecocks9799

gamecocks9799

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
I get your reasoning . My point is that Jeep has done nothing to correct a well known long standing issue and continues to make them with the know defect. The question is what will it take to pressure them to design a permanent fix. Aggravation speaking, I seldom use it for fear of the chintzy rivets breaking and didn’t get it to Not Use! Anyway- now I know how to fix it should it break , thanks
Yup. I will say, I used it ALL the time, a lot and it lasted 2.5 years before shearing off. But should have lasted longer.

Enjoy your top. And if your handle indicates you've got a 392, oooh... jelly.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Could you use a Dremel to take the head of the rivet off? Seems like that might be better than using vice grips?

OP
OP
gamecocks9799

gamecocks9799

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Could you use a Dremel to take the head of the rivet off? Seems like that might be better than using vice grips?
I'm sure you could try, but I was concerned about excess scratching the bottom plate of the bar, and having any type of rotary tool near the canvas top itself. A tear or a cut in the fabric by me would not be warrantied. There was a previous post a few years ago about someone who started to drill theirs out and got skittish and went to the vice grips/nail punch method. All in what you're comfortable with.

Wombatt41

First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Just wanted to say thank you! your DIY instructions were spot on! was able to make the repair to my One Touch roof in about 30 minutes.

OP
OP
gamecocks9799

gamecocks9799

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consultant
Aweso
Just wanted to say thank you! your DIY instructions were spot on! was able to make the repair to my One Touch roof in about 30 minutes.
Awesome! Glad to hear it was successful. Mine has been going strong for 2 months now (both sides) with lots of opening and closing even at speeds up to 45 MPH. As long as you used the loctite, you should be golden!

Patrickogiado

First Name
Patrick Do
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
2022 not even 6 months old and I'm already having issues with the SOT. Has anyone else seen this, it causing the top to gap about .5 inches at highway speed.

I've taken it in to service, however every dealership has told me this is normal wear and tear. Have a feeling this has been a known issue and engineering refused to get it fixed.

@JeepCares

Sponsored