Red Dot on Tires

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Does anyone know why the tires have red dots on the sidewall?

20181215_112526.jpg
Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Those dots are meant to be used by the tire technician, be it at the tire shop, or the factory floor. They are there to indicate radial runout, the difference between a highspot and lowspot on the tire. Making a tire perfectly balanced is impossible. Tires have weight differences due to extra material, slightly off in shape, etc. As a result, the weight of the tire's low and high point (least and most weight) can be so different that they put a marker on the tire to make life easier for the tech. Not all tires have these marks, just those that have higher differences in the weight. So, the red dot indicates that it is the heaviest point on the tire, and the technician should mount it right on the lightest area of the wheel, usually on a notch on the wheel or a red dot. If the tire has a yellow dot, that indicates that it is the lightest part of the tire and it should be mounted on/around the valve stem, usually a heavier portion of the wheel and where weights are generally put on.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You will rarely find a shop that knows how to use those dots, but if you do, stick with them. Discount Tire did mine back in the summer correctly without me having to explain it to them. I'll give them more business in the future.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I always tell the shop "the tire manufacturer said the red dots need to be aligned w/ the valve stem, and if no red dot then use the yellow @ the stem". Every time I've said that they've got it right :)
I haven't had any wheels that were marked/notched but the valve stem match seems to work well as balance weighting has been minimal.
Sponsored