robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Let’s be honest. The bias is because the JL Rubicon looks badass, not because it can climb rocks better. I’m living proof of that decision making bias (I live nowhere near rocks to climb).

Also, some of us have spouses who have no idea there are three different Wrangler trims, but who would notice new wheels and tires getting installed.

Buy what make sense for YOU, and ignore the “experts” on an Internet forum. (ICYMI - bunch of guys posting here don’t even own a JL.)
That's part (a small one) of what I was getting at. I see plenty of Rubicons around town (and know a few owners personally to some degree) and I know the vast majority have never taken them off-road or even taken the hard top off. At least I plan to do both as much as possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicons break too. Everything breaks.

Break it, upgrade it, rinse, repeat.

Signed,

A guy who can break 35 spline chromoly 60s at will.
Not sure what that last sentence means (remember I'm a noob), but I like it!

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Sahara only comes with CV joints if you get Select-Trac, if i'm not mistaken. I see you being sarcastic, just wanted to clarify this as if they all have CV it would be news to me.

Wranglers are trail rated from the factory, you'll be fine in any of them for some fun. Go see what it does stock and then start making your changes as needed.
Actually, you're absolutely right, it does matter. Just in case anybody was wondering, @richaudet is correct, only CV joints on the Selectrac models. Selectrac was the reason I considered Sahara in the first place, and those joints were one of my main put offs.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Actually, you're absolutely right, it does matter. Just in case anybody was wondering, @richaudet is correct, only CV joints on the Selectrac models. Selectrac was the reason I considered Sahara in the first place, and those joints were one of my main put offs.
The Moab, which the OP ordered, has selectrac

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Jeez... what do you care what strangers on the interwebz say?

Did you buy your Jeep to impress others, or so you can do what YOU want?

One advantage of getting older... you care less and less about stranger’s opinions.

Respectfully debate positions with those whom you disagree (learning might occur for one or both of you), but do it realizing that in the end, their opinion of you and your chosen vehicle is none of your business.

:beer::beer:

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Its “capable” yes but is definetly the most mall ninja of all the offerings thus far. For the same price you can get a loaded rubicon. Which is better axles, better fender flairs, better transfercase ratio/more robust, more advantageous axle gearing for adding larger tires, sway bar disco, 33’s and another inch or so of lift. I payed 50k for my rubi and only options i didnt have are color match roof and fenders, and trail rail. It looks like the moab edition starts at 51,200

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeez... what do you care what strangers on the interwebz say?

Did you buy your Jeep to impress others, or so you can do what YOU want?

One advantage of getting older... you care less and less about stranger’s opinions.

Respectfully debate positions with those whom you disagree (learning might occur for one or both of you), but do it realizing that in the end, their opinion of you and your chosen vehicle is none of your business.

:beer::beer:
Couldn't agree with you more!

My original post was a little sarcastic and I can easily see how I was seeking validation for my decision. However, I would really like to know more about why I need certain things on an off-road vehicle. I don't really know the difference between a Dana 44 and a Dana M220 axle or why larger tire diameter matters. I'm good with my starting point (which I realize some may think is stupid), but would appreciate insight on what I need to do what I want.

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have about the least capable off road Jeep (Sport S with no limited slip, all season tires, no mods) and I spent a fair amount of time this weekend offroading around our hunting property, which was covered in about 4" of snow over muddy ruts, etc.

I had zero problems going anywhere, and at one point scampered up a steep snow-covered hill that a TRD Tundra had to back down and re-try. I was in 4 Hi. If your goal is to go on challenging trails offroading for the sake of offroading, you might want some upgrades, but if you're like me and you offroad incidentally in support of other hobbies, you'll almost certainly be just fine.
More often than not that's probably the case for me, so great to hear! Thanks!!!

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
My first Jeep was a 2003 Freedom Edition with ZERO options; all season tires and whatever that edition came with. I did some serious off roading going over rocks, up super steep hills etc with my brother spotting to help me out. My new Sport S has (nearly) all the options and all terrain 32" Bridgestone Duelers - went off road with it a few weeks ago for the first time with my other brother and zero issue and we went up, down, sideways (it felt like but not really - ha) without problem. It didn't like deep sand much but otherwise did great over big rocks, some logs, a shallow creek, etc. I think your Jeep will surprise you. Not sure about the all time 4 wheel drive option so that may change things a tiny bit but I think it will still be more capable than you'll ever feel comfortable doing. Just remember this - a Jeep can go down anything....it's getting back up that counts.

I won't change anything on mine until the warranty is up as I refuse to hear them say "your lift and bigger tires are to blame - no coverage". So until then I stay stock and will have a blast!

And a MOAB!! Way to go!

OP
OP
robaw

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its “capable” yes but is definetly the most mall ninja of all the offerings thus far. For the same price you can get a loaded rubicon. Which is better axles, better fender flairs, better transfercase ratio/more robust, more advantageous axle gearing for adding larger tires, sway bar disco, 33’s and another inch or so of lift. I payed 50k for my rubi and only options i didnt have are color match roof and fenders, and trail rail. It looks like the moab edition starts at 51,200
I get what you're saying, but for the "creature comfort" and personal prefernve options that I want on my DD it's considerably more than 50k no matter which way I go. I guess if I'm considered a poser or "mall ninja" then so be it. The point of my post is to find out why all of the features that you listed would matter to me. I'm truly not trying to be an ass about it.

From my research I could conclude that a better option would be a Grand Cherokee, but that lacks the ground clearance and free-air abilities I'm looking for. I'm looking for the best of both worlds and I thought I found an AWESOME option, but apparently there are plenty to contend that I'm wrong.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I get what you're saying, but for the "creature comfort" and personal prefernve options that I want on my DD it's considerably more than 50k no matter which way I go. I guess if I'm considered a poser or "mall ninja" then so be it. The point of my post is to find out why all of the features that you listed would matter to me. I'm truly not trying to be an ass about it.

From my research I could conclude that a better option would be a Grand Cherokee, but that lacks the ground clearance and free-air abilities I'm looking for. I'm looking for the best of both worlds and I thought I found an AWESOME option, but apparently there are plenty to contend that I'm wrong.
@robaw who is paying your bills? Them, us, or you. That's your decision right there.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ

Look i get it, i’d just rather you see the facts before dropping that much cash .

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Well I fully intend to see if I can get it stuck
Don't worry; you will, whether you intend to or not. :)

Old Chinese proverb: Four-wheel-drive in; walk out.

It happens to everyone sooner or later.
Sponsored