Off-Road Capable

bwbama

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Until you get a good boost and tires, just stay off the Rubicon trail itself and you can laugh at the Tacomas and Rovers you pass on the others.
Sponsored

Dfisher81

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hello. To raise a dead thread.... I took my JLU Sahara with GY ATA tires down to southern Ohio yesterday. I was astonished at what it could do for off camber situations, a huge 30 degree hill climb on silt, and in the slop, and nothing to speak of on damage except a little rash on a rear bumper corner.

I am used to a lifted 4Runner and this would beat the pants off it 10/10 times. Again. No lift. NoT MTs. Did a great job on the hills and the rocks. Wow. Really nice job Jeep.

7D2CCB93-9391-40C9-9753-09D00AE243A8.jpeg

805300DC-66DA-429C-AB10-6B536F415C3A.jpeg

D9CD60CF-3116-4ED3-8F8C-39DAD97B5251.jpeg

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
we rented a sport with the 2.5 Mopar lift and 33 tires in - wait for it - Moab! And it could go places I never though I could go. Including part of Fins'n Things, 3D trail. Didn't have time for Hell's Revenge but I have no doubt it could have done that too (some of the more extreme side obstacles aside maybe).
It's named Moab and I'm sure it can go anywhere there aside of the really extreme stuff you'd most likely never want to do anyway.

If I lived somewhere with snow, I'd probably go Sahara/Moab myself. I don't plan on doing a lot of work on my future Jeep myself (don't have the tools or room in the garage for that), so I will most likely get a Rubicon (as I one day want to do it's namesake trail here) and once it's out of warranty I might do some changes I feel necessary by then. It'll mostly be my shuffle the kids around vehicle and then I plan to explore trails in the sierras and up the north coast here in CA. But that won't even be a once a month thing, takes a while to get to those places from the Bay Area.

Personally I love the Moab looks and you chose the right color :-D

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I have about the least capable off road Jeep (Sport S with no limited slip, all season tires, no mods) and I spent a fair amount of time this weekend offroading around our hunting property, which was covered in about 4" of snow over muddy ruts, etc.

I had zero problems going anywhere, and at one point scampered up a steep snow-covered hill that a TRD Tundra had to back down and re-try. I was in 4 Hi. If your goal is to go on challenging trails offroading for the sake of offroading, you might want some upgrades, but if you're like me and you offroad incidentally in support of other hobbies, you'll almost certainly be just fine.

I took my Jeep off-road at an off-road park recently. Had a blast. Did just fine on street tires and no lockers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-Road Capable {filename}

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hello. To raise a dead thread.... I took my JLU Sahara with GY ATA tires down to southern Ohio yesterday. I was astonished at what it could do for off camber situations, a huge 30 degree hill climb on silt, and in the slop, and nothing to speak of on damage except a little rash on a rear bumper corner.

I am used to a lifted 4Runner and this would beat the pants off it 10/10 times. Again. No lift. NoT MTs. Did a great job on the hills and the rocks. Wow. Really nice job Jeep.

I have the same problem. Every time I think about swapping out for a more aggressive tire I try to think about what terrain I've been on that the AT Adventures couldn't handle... and cant think of it. I'm holding on to mine for a while.
Sponsored