2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have already accepted the fact that I will be shamed for choosing a Sahara over a Rubicon as my first Wrangler and will be told I dont have a "real" Jeep. Whatever. owever, where I live, I will never have the opportunity to truly use the features of a Wrangler. There are no trails near me that are Badge eligible, in fact the trails that would be around here
Try being me, the guy who went from a JKU Rubicon to a JLU Sahara. When I added the Sahara to the fold, it felt like the Jeep community demanded my man card back. But my use cases supported the addition, my wife and I both prefer the way it drives, I'm 100% comfortable in my own skin and my you-know-what is the same size regardless if I am driving the Sahara or the Rubi. I have not regretted the Sahara one bit, despite the ton of unsolicited opinions that have been shared with me. Peace to all the Sahara drivers out there!

Last edited:

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Really? Are you talking online or real life?
Both. Lots of Sahara hate on the forum obviously, and when I drive it IRL I've gotten lots of sarcastic "nice Sahara, dude" type comments from my Rubi-driving brother as well as random people at trailheads and in parking lots...always guys, and usually driving Jeeps with stingers, light bars, hi jacks, huge lifts and more shackles than truly necessary. It doesn't bother me, and I don't fell the need to say "But my other Jeep is a...". I just say thanks and move on. But it does undermine the whole Jeep Community thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have already accepted the fact that I will be shamed for choosing a Sahara over a Rubicon as my first Wrangler and will be told I dont have a "real" Jeep. Whatever. owever, where I live, I will never have the opportunity to truly use the features of a Wrangler. There are no trails near me that are Badge eligible, in fact the trails that would be around here
While I do have a Rubicon, I had a Sahara on loan for about a month and put 4,000+ miles on it. Loved it. There is no shame in having a Sahara. They are a great Jeep.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Both. Lots of Sahara hate on the forum obviously, and when I drive it IRL I've get lots of sarcastic "nice Sahara, dude" type comments from my brother as well as the random people at trailheads and parking lots...always guys, and usually driving Jeeps with stingers, light bars, hi jacks, huge lifts and more shackles than truly necessary. It doesn't bother me, and I don't fell the need to say "But my other Jeep is a...". I just say thanks and move on. But it does undermine the whole Jeep Community thing.
I recently went to a Jeep Adventure Academy event in my stock Sport. A woman in her stock Sahara (with street tires), who was directly behind me in our line while out, several times voiced concern about whether or not hers would make it through some obstacles, and the folks I heard were nothing but encouraging. Likewise for me in my Sport. Maybe that's because we were actually out giving off-roading a try, but one look at ours would likely tell anyone that off-roading for us is likely a rare, if not the one-time, event. But we received no grief from anyone (at least not that I heard). I bought mine because a), I absolutely love driving around in the summer with the top down and doors off with good music, and b), I wanted something that could do well in the snow as well as some dirt roads/forest service roads that get you to more secluded camping spots. I don't really care if someone thinks less of me for that.

I will say this, I learned from that JAA experience that a stock Sport and Sahara can make it through some pretty tough obstacles, even in the heavy downpour we had for the second half of the day. There was even someone in a trail rated Grand Cherokee out there. They did have to bypass a couple obstacles, but otherwise did just fine.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Both. Lots of Sahara hate on the forum obviously, and when I drive it IRL I've get lots of sarcastic "nice Sahara, dude" type comments from my Rubi-driving brother as well as random people at trailheads and parking lots...always guys, and usually driving Jeeps with stingers, light bars, hi jacks, huge lifts and more shackles than truly necessary. It doesn't bother me, and I don't fell the need to say "But my other Jeep is a...". I just say thanks and move on. But it does undermine the whole Jeep Community thing.
Wow, real life grief surprises me! Maybe a product of where you live? I never received anything but help, suggestions and guidance from guys with built rigs. Like trails I could hit, those I should avoid or follow me / I'll show you. Online? Different story! But I come from BMW & Porsche forums where a very THICK skin is required.

Know the difference between a porcupine & a BMW?

BMWs have picks on the inside :CWL:

Last edited:

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I recently went to a Jeep Adventure Academy event in my stock Sport. A woman in her stock Sahara (with street tires), who was directly behind me in our line while out, several times voiced concern about whether or not hers would make it through some obstacles, and the folks I heard were nothing but encouraging. Likewise for me in my Sport. Maybe that's because we were actually out giving off-roading a try, but one look at ours would likely tell anyone that off-roading for us is likely a rare, if not the one-time, event. But we received no grief from anyone (at least not that I heard). I bought mine because a), I absolutely love driving around in the summer with the top down and doors off with good music, and b), I wanted something that could do well in the snow as well as some dirt roads/forest service roads that get you to more secluded camping spots. I don't really care if someone thinks less of me for that.

I will say this, I learned from that JAA experience that a stock Sport and Sahara can make it through some pretty tough obstacles, even in the heavy downpour we had for the second half of the day. There was even someone in a trail rated Grand Cherokee out there. They did have to bypass a couple obstacles, but otherwise did just fine.
Great to hear! BTW I was the Trail Guide in the Army Camo jacket that day at the Badlands. And yes, I got soaked to the bone that afternoon. We had a total blast! The point of JAA is to teach you what your Jeep can do and make sure you know how to safely navigate off road should you choose to or need to in an emergency. Reading magazines and online media gives people the mistaken impression you need a lift, big tires and all the rest before you can go offroad. The truth is a stock Jeep has ALWAYS been able to go amazing places, it's just a matter of driver skill.

Personally, I don't get all the haters. I've got five 4x4's; a Ford F-350, Chevrolet Tracker, Suzuki Samurai, a 1982 Jeep CJ-7, and a 2021 Jeep Wrangler. Each of them has a purpose; tow rig, winter transportation, tight tough trails, hardcore off roading and family touring/moderate trails. I love the 4x4 community. Got a restored Jeep Scrambler you take to parades? Nice! Got a new or classic Bronco? Two thumbs up! Stripped Sport you take to the beach with the top off? Super Jealous! Loaded High Altitude you take to the mall? Good lookin' ride! Each of these best meets the needs of the owner. Just because your priorities and tastes are different than mine doesn't make them wrong.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Great to hear! BTW I was the Trail Guide in the Army Camo jacket that day at the Badlands. And yes, I got soaked to the bone that afternoon. We had a total blast! The point of JAA is to teach you what your Jeep can do and make sure you know how to safely navigate off road should you choose to or need to in an emergency. Reading magazines and online media gives people the mistaken impression you need a lift, big tires and all the rest before you can go offroad. The truth is a stock Jeep has ALWAYS been able to go amazing places, it's just a matter of driver skill.

Personally, I don't get all the haters. I've got five 4x4's; a Ford F-350, Chevrolet Tracker, Suzuki Samurai, a 1982 Jeep CJ-7, and a 2021 Jeep Wrangler. Each of them has a purpose; tow rig, winter transportation, tight tough trails, hardcore off roading and family touring/moderate trails. I love the 4x4 community. Got a restored Jeep Scrambler you take to parades? Nice! Got a new or classic Bronco? Two thumbs up! Stripped Sport you take to the beach with the top off? Super Jealous! Loaded High Altitude you take to the mall? Good lookin' ride! Each of these best meets the needs of the owner. Just because your priorities and tastes are different than mine doesn't make them wrong.
Small World! It was a blast and all of you guides were great, thanks! At the risk of identifying myself as "Oh, that guy??", I believe I was the only Hella Yella out there. At the end of the first half, I was surprised at what we went through and I told my daughter who was with me that it couldn't get any more difficult than that, it's designed for beginners after all. Then we went out for the second half...then the rain hit...

I was even more surprised after I got home and only found a small scuff mark on one wheel, and scratches (no dents) on the skid plates. I definitely had underestimated the capabilities of my Jeep.

Apologies for going off topic.

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Wow, Real life grief surprises me! Maybe a product of where you live? I never received anything but help, suggestions and guidance from guys with built rigs. Like trails I could hit, those I should avoid or follow me / I'll show you. Online? Different story! But I come from BMW & Porsche forums where a very THICK skin is required.

Know the difference between a porcupine & a BMW?

BMWs have picks on the inside :CWL:
Maybe it is an east coast thing, where I live now. I've driven mostly in the Appalachian Mountains, and the more memorable smack talk has happened in TN and VA. When I'm further north in NY and VT its surprisingly more laid back - not what common stereotypes would lead one to believe. But when I lived on the west coast and overlanded in CA OR WA UT WY and CO, I never once fielded an insult about my 4Runner.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Maybe it is an east coast thing, where I live now. I've driven mostly in the Appalachian Mountains, and the more memorable smack talk has happened in TN and VA. When I'm further north in NY and VT its surprisingly more laid back - not what common stereotypes would lead one to believe. But when I lived on the west coast and overlanded in CA OR WA UT WY and CO, I never once fielded an insult about my 4Runner.
NC here....Maybe it's because you look like "The American Dream" Dusty Roads :CWL:

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I don't get the use of "(non)" in front of the subject. Is that meant to negate the subject?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't get the use of "(non)" in front of the subject. Is that meant to negate the subject?
Good eye.

I understood the intent of the OP's thread title, but it is a misleading, if possibly unintentional, use of parenthesis.

DTOM76

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
And when they sell it they will state it's never been off-road.
Sponsored