First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
NO LAUGHING! ;)

Here is our first water crossing in the JLUR. You have to remember this is Southern Nevada, it is either a trickle or the Colorado River!

We went up to Carpenters Canyon, the kids had a blast in the creek and we got to drive on it for a bit till the road split from it.

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg
Sponsored

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
If you're looking for water crossings in the Las Vegas area, you can find some along the Meadow Valley Road, which eventually becomes Lincoln County Road 4230.

This road runs from Hwy 168 west of Glendale, along the UP railroad tracks up through Carp to Elgin. But I can't guarantee that you'll be able to get all the way through, and it might be hard to get a reliable update on road conditions, even from the Lincoln County Roads Dept. Either way, it's a great backcountry drive, even if you end up turning around.

One water crossing that vexxed me and my 4Runner (which doesn't have breather hoses) can be reached by taking a side road. The turn is at N 36.824100, W 114.657203 and is a little north of the Farrier siding on the railroad.

There's a GPX for that side road (which goes several miles up to the foot of Mormon Peak) here: click for GPX

Some reports on that site claim water depths of 10" or so. I was out there in November 2019, trying to drive to Mormon Peak. I parked, put on my Crocs, and attempted to wade across first. By the time I got about 1/3 of the way out, the water was up to my knees. YMMV. ;) It all depends on the season, and how much rain/snowmelt is coming down at that time.

BTW, don't try to drive out there if there's any chance of rain in the region. Meadow Valley Wash drains a very large area, and serious flash floods are possible.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the infamous 2019 train derailment that destroyed a bunch of Wranglers and Gladiators occurred along this stretch of the railroad! link to news article

Last edited:

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I'll have to go check that out 702rubi. I checked it out on Google maps and couldn't really tell if there is water there now with this drought.

We Went to carpenter's canyon several weeks ago hoping to do some water crossings, but the only water crossings we saw were up past the campground and that part was blocked off. There was one small puddle I got to drive through though.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I saw that pic and instantly said it looks like Carpenters canyon.
Sponsored