Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL My Jeep failed PA inspection because.. 20220401_102953
Yesterday I was informed by the dealership my Jeep failed PA inspection because my only manually operated non-DOT off road use only forward aux lights can be turned on without first turning on the hi beams. :facepalm:

I was also told my only manually operated rear facing area lights are a bit bright. Unclear what that means for the inspection, but just repeating what I was told by the service agent.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Jeep failed PA inspection because.. 20201229_093402~2

While one would have expected the service agent to come prepared with possible resolutions approved by the inspecting technician, he did not. Waiting to hear back if swapping the amber covers with blackouts will solve the problem.

Anyone else have absurd issues with off road only lightning and PA inspections?

And no I'm never going back to the dealer again for inspections. Only reason I did this time was to get the A pillar water dripping fix done at the same time.
Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that sounds like a crappy reason to fail inspection. Clearly the inspector hasnā€™t gotten laid lately.
Or.....the inspectorā€˜s wife is that hot lady from Throw Momma From The Train
ep64-throwmomma.jpg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Because your "Off Road" lights could be turned on anytime, potentially blinding oncoming drivers, whether on purpose or accidentally, that risk has to be eliminated.
Ditto with the rear " work lights". It lighting doesn't conform to DOT or State regulations, no pass. You might be upright, responsible, and all that, but Laws are enacted as protection from those that are not. Sad but True.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Because your "Off Road" lights could be turned on anytime, potentially blinding oncoming drivers, whether on purpose or accidentally, that risk has to be eliminated.
Ditto with the rear " work lights". It lighting doesn't conform to DOT or State regulations, no pass. You might be upright, responsible, and all that, but Laws are enacted as protection from those that are not. Sad but True.
And I wonder how many of those legislators that made those laws owned Jeepsā€¦ šŸ™„

Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
If that is the law, wire the driving lights so they only operate when the high beams are on.
Same with the added rear lights.
You have the option of wiring them so they work both automatically, to keep the inspector happy and add a disguised manual override.

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUHT (JLHT?) '19 F-150 5.0 '03 Envoy XL
Occupation
RE20 microphones
lol @ inspections, move to a free state

your Jeep is beautiful @PA-Punkn it's a travesty it failed anything, it's like a brand new vehicle from appearances not a rusted up tin can barely making it down the road...which are out there

OP
OP
PA-Punkn

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the support guys and the kind words @JLUHT

I had to go shopping near the dealership today so stopped by and threw on the blackout covers. Won't hear back until next week.

I can easily disconnect the lights if needed, but hoping the covers rectify things.

Updates on this silly saga will be forthcoming..

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Where did you get the Jeep inspected? Hopefully not the dealership... In 2019, I had one of my Jeeps at a condo in Montgomeryville and just took it to some small shop and had zero problems. The TJ did not have fenders, a working OEM parking brake (had a line lock), multiple lights, cracked header, lifted too tall, etc. They just checked the headlights and a few other things and sent me on my way.

I would disconnect the lights and go someplace else.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Where did you get the Jeep inspected? Hopefully not the dealership... In 2019, I had one of my Jeeps at a condo in Montgomeryville and just took it to some small shop and had zero problems. The TJ did not have fenders, a working OEM parking brake (had a line lock), multiple lights, cracked header, lifted too tall, etc. They just checked the headlights and a few other things and sent me on my way.

I would disconnect the lights and go someplace else.
This is trueā€¦ Canā€™t fail you for lights that arenā€™t needed to pass and are not connected, right? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
PA-Punkn

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
This is trueā€¦ Canā€™t fail you for lights that arenā€™t needed to pass and are not connected, right? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
One would think...one would think.

So here's the wrap up. The service agent called me Monday morning.

The A pillar drip fix was completed and after some rain this week seems to have done the trick (TSB 23-041-21 if anyone else is affected)

Putting the blackout covers on the forward facing lights resolved that failure.

As for the rear facing area lights, after much annoyed conversation, I was told was not the brightness as i was originally told at issue but the fact they can be turned on without being in reverse that caused the inspection failure. Disconnecting the lights will not result in a pass because all lights installed in the bumper need to function. So, only way to pass is to completely remove from the lights or wire into the reverse lights.

I ate the failed inspection fee, took the Jeep to an indy shop, passed no issue. Oh, and I let the service agent have it, not because of the failures but because of the terrible customer service. Had he given me accurate info on what was needed to pass at first contact on Friday and not left me hanging over the weekend I wouldn't have wasted my time dealing with all this during the following week. Selah.

Moral of the story - don't take modded Jeeps (or any Jeeps for that matter?) to dealers for PA inspection

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Glad to hear you were able to work it out. Never take them to the dealership. In the dealerships defense, they are held to a higher standard and have much more to lose if they fail a secret inspection by the state. Without the inspection station it makes it difficult for them to pass through used cars. On top of that, it is a nice source of income for them as they follow the letter of the law to T and prey on people that don't know better and charge them to fix items like the ones you had. Most people just pay them and move on.

The entire inspection is a joke anyway. How many vehicles do you see driving down the road with 4 different tires on them, doors hanging off, no exhaust, duct taped headlights, etc.? Here in Colorado, we don't have a safety inspection, just emissions and really high yearly taxes based on vehicle cost according to the State. My JLUR is $935 a year. I purchased a motorhome last year and the fee was $7,680 for one year!!! Next year it drops to $7,400. I paid 30% off MSRP for the RV, but they charge you based on MSRP. Adding salt to the wounds is that 1 out of 5 vehicles here is running around without a plate, expired plate, or a temp plate from 8 months ago. Apparently, the cops don't pull over for this.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Couldn't you just disconnect the lights at the housing and say "they aren't connected"?
Sponsored