Mopar Headliner Velcro

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition
So I just swapped hard tops with someone and kept the mopar headliner--and forgot to really look at the straps that secured the panels to the hardrop.

anyone have any ideas what i should buy to secure the headliner to the new top? Should I use regular velcro or something like 3M VHB Scotch SJ3550 Dual Lock 250 Reclosable Fastener?

kicking myself for not looking more closely.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
last time I purchased the 250 Glenn @funglenn I had to practically remortgage my home. Boy is that stuff expensive per length as compared to Velcro. And I think it better useful when items are more apt to be disconnected and reconnected with frequency.

Once you reinstall your headliners on the hardtop they're pretty much going to stay there, right? If so, this would have me sway towards Velcro.

A while back, when considering making my own headliners I thought, actually, that I'd try 3m Command brand strips https://tinyurl.com/yaaej9gz so that if I decided the headliners weren't for me, or I sold my hardtop, I could remove the part that glues to the inside of the hardtop without having to use chemicals "known to the State of California to cause cancer in lab animals" if you catch my drift, to cleanly remove the side of it affixed to the interior roof. ;)

Somebody on the forum though has probably built a better mousetrap as it pertains to removing such glue residue.

Curtman1962

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler JL, '13 Accord Coupe
Occupation
GM
I also would like to know what type of hook and loop to use. I had my top replaced because of a crack and they reattached the headliner. All are staying except for the back panel above the back glass. The extreme heat keeps the adhesive from sticking to the top and the panel keeps falling down.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I also would like to know what type of hook and loop to use. I had my top replaced because of a crack and they reattached the headliner. All are staying except for the back panel above the back glass. The extreme heat keeps the adhesive from sticking to the top and the panel keeps falling down.
Hey Curtis:

While I'm no expert on this subject matter, this brochure from 3M has proven very useful to connect their product offerings to the application at hand.

To reiterate from above, their Dual Lock material is, comparatively speaking on length, pricey.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/738289O/3mtm-reclosable-fasteners-design-selection-guide.pdf

OP
OP

funglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS North Edition

That is exactly the panel that keeps falling down, I used Strenco 1 Inch Self Adhesive Hook and Loop Strips - 5 Yard Set - Black Sticky Back Tape Fastener
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQ937NM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now i need to find something for that dang back panel as well!
Sponsored