OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
I love the JL wrangler, & was waiting to test drive a Rubicon,& was hoping the the ANCAP crash test rating would better the dismal 1 star from the NCAP crash test for the JL Wrangler. Especially given the Oz spec has auto breaking & v6 configuration, but sadly ANCAP has rated the the Aussie spec JL wrangler with just 1 star also. This rating sucks when you consider a 79 series landcrusier ute with solid axels front & rear has an ANCAP rating of 5 stars. This is the final nail for me - I'm out. If I could afford to I'd still buy a rubicon as my off road toy, but not as a daily drive. Might keep my daily & pick up an 80 series landcrusier to satisfy my off road itch.

tps://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/safety-prioritised-with-5-stars-for-toyota-hiace-and-nissan-leaf-ev-yet-the-opposite-for-jeep-wrangler-at-1-star

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/jeep/wrangler/c89ac3

Attachments

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
I love the JL wrangler, & was waiting to test drive a Rubicon,& was hoping the the ANCAP crash test rating would better the dismal 1 star from the NCAP crash test for the JL Wrangler. Especially given the Oz spec has auto breaking & v6 configuration, but sadly ANCAP has rated the the Aussie spec JL wrangler with just 1 star also. This rating sucks when you consider a 79 series landcrusier ute with solid axels front & rear has an ANCAP rating of 5 stars. This is the final nail for me - I'm out. If I could afford to I'd still buy a rubicon as my off road toy, but not as a daily drive. Might keep my daily & pick up an 80 series landcrusier to satisfy my off road itch.

tps://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-gallery/releases/safety-prioritised-with-5-stars-for-toyota-hiace-and-nissan-leaf-ev-yet-the-opposite-for-jeep-wrangler-at-1-star

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/jeep/wrangler/c89ac3
ANCAP have not even tested here, they just using the UK results, so the JL tested is missing the AEB that our models 'should have'.
but lets face it, with the new testing requirements, a 79 cruiser is not going to pass the pedestrian test or the AEB stuff. it might have better cabin protection, it should it sits higher...
but yes, given the costs, the lack of air bags in rear, the safety rating, the lack of options, towbar ? and au rubicon missing the 32.6 (33's), my Y62 is looking like a winner. has v8, has 2x space, has rear locker, has 32.6" wheels std,has curtain airbags, sunroof, auto wipers, and for less $$ driveaway (right now ) than the Overland base price.
yeah i was out a few months ago, but i would still test drive the Rubi and maybe the Ram1500 while i there.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. Clearly this guy is a cock, but WTF…
Sorry - JL not LJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=674UVesnntM
ROTFLOL! :LOL: I'm wondering if "cock" has the same meaning in Oz as it does in the States? I know I'm going off-topic but this is just funny. I studied in the UK for a few months back in 1992 and lived with a great family. Someone arranged for a big somewhat formal dinner and I was the guest of honor. After a couple courses and dessert, I couldn't eat another bite. Someone asked if I wanted more of something and I said, "No thank you, I am stuffed!" Everyone stopped eating, drinking and tallking and just stared at me for about 10 seconds before someone realized that what I said had an entirely different meaning in the States and that I could not have possibly meant what they initially tought I meant! :giggle:

Back on-topic...I'd bet the UK crash tests are like the US. Their scoring and analysis, are designed to defy the laws of physics and equalize smaller vehicles with larger ones. For example, a Mini Cooper gets the highest US IIHS side impact rating, but I'd bet the JL will not. However, in the real world, if you are going to get creamed in the side by a standard mid sized car, which would you rather be driving, the Jeep (especially a Rubi with rock rails) or the Mini. No brainer there.

The JK had a "marginal" side impact rating (the 2 door was rated "poor" from the side and "marginal" from front offset) as well as a higher chance of rollover and yet it consistently from 2007 to 2018 has among the lowest insurance industry injury claim rates of all the vehicles sold in the US since its introduction.

I'm not totally discounting the value of crash testing, but I'm also pointing out the politics that are obviously there. The environmentalists would create a shit storm of Biblical proportions (which they would promptly blame on climate change) if they rated larger, heavier SUV's and trucks according to how they perform in real world crashes compared to small efficient cars. Even more people would buy the bigger, thirstier vehicles.

Just my 2c rant on these ratings.

Btw...the good thing for pedestrians is that when you Aussies put those big kangaroo bumpers on the front, it kills them instantly, sparing them the pain and suffering from the maiming they'd otherwise get from that cushy chin they put on the stock Wranglers down there.;)

Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
ROTFLOL! :LOL: I'm wondering if "cock" has the same meaning in Oz as it does in the States? I know I'm going off-topic but this is just funny. I studied in the UK for a few months back in 1992 and lived with a great family. Someone arranged for a big somewhat formal dinner and I was the guest of honor. After a couple courses and dessert, I couldn't eat another bite. Someone asked if I wanted more of something and I said, "No thank you, I am stuffed!" Everyone stopped eating, drinking and tallking and just stared at me for about 10 seconds before someone realized that what I said had an entirely different meaning in the States and that I could not have possibly meant what they initially tought I meant! :giggle:

Back on-topic...I'd bet the UK crash tests are like the US. Their scoring and analysis, are designed to defy the laws of physics and equalize smaller vehicles with larger ones. For example, a Mini Cooper gets the highest US IIHS side impact rating, but I'd bet the JL will not. However, in the real world, if you are going to get creamed in the side by a standard mid sized car, which would you rather be driving, the Jeep (especially a Rubi with rock rails) or the Mini. No brainer there.

The JK had a "marginal" side impact rating (the 2 door was rated "poor" from the side and "marginal" from front offset) as well as a higher chance of rollover and yet it consistently from 2007 to 2018 has among the lowest insurance industry injury claim rates of all the vehicles sold in the US since its introduction.

I'm not totally discounting the value of crash testing, but I'm also pointing out the politics that are obviously there. The environmentalists would create a shit storm of Biblical proportions (which they would promptly blame on climate change) if they rated larger, heavier SUV's and trucks according to how they perform in real world crashes compared to small efficient cars. Even more people would buy the bigger, thirstier vehicles.

Just my 2c rant on these ratings.

Btw...the good thing for pedestrians is that when you Aussies put those big kangaroo bumpers on the front, it kills them instantly, sparing them the pain and suffering from the maiming they'd otherwise get from that cushy chin they put on the stock Wranglers down there.;)
Dan, that is classic :D . for the record, yes cock as i male part .. and yes cockhead ..dickhead, wanker. all apply to that guy. :P
and as for 'i'm stuffed' yeah of course, stuff full could not put any more food in.. or stuffed, ran to the shops and now i stuffed..Or the age old - get stuffed, as in 'no way' or get f$#ked or not a chance.. So what did they think you meant ??
Yes our Roo rammers will make short work on the person watchin the youtube on the phone as they cross the road.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dan, that is classic :D . for the record, yes cock as i male part .. and yes cockhead ..dickhead, wanker. all apply to that guy. :P
and as for 'i'm stuffed' yeah of course, stuff full could not put any more food in.. or stuffed, ran to the shops and now i stuffed..Or the age old - get stuffed, as in 'no way' or get f$#ked or not a chance.. So what did they think you meant ??
Yes our Roo rammers will make short work on the person watchin the youtube on the phone as they cross the road.
Lol, they thought I meant the "get f$#ked" version! The young crowd at that time was going around telling everyone to get stuffed. :CWL: I agree, that guy is exactly what you say!

I will say, that massive underbite stock bumper might double as a good chair for beach fishing, though!

OP
OP

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
RACQ just released their “Used car safety rating buyer's guide” It gives the old JK Wrangler 5 stars!! The JL Wrangler is much safer than the JK. Seems to me the ANCAP Safety rating is complete BULLSH#T after all.

JK.PNG

Attachments

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I think wrangler buyers never cared about the one star rating.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As has been discussed before, if it is based on realw injury claims, the JK actually has been among the lowest.

Government crash testing is political anyway because it levels the playing field between large and small vehicles. They certainly don't want to do anything to steer you toward larger and less fuel efficient vehicles.

In a real world collision, would you rather be in a government rated 5 star subcompact or a 2 star larger SUV?

There are many factors that contribute to real world injury claims, including buyer/driver profile, but the fact remains that the JK was and is consistently among the lowest. I give that my personal 5 star rating. Screw the government "science." That's really where the BS is found.
Sponsored