Sponsored

JLU Touch screen

mopperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hi Everyone! New to the forum and waiting ever so patiently for my JLU. Anyway, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the touch screen. I ordered the 8.4, but was wondering if this thing is waterproof. I am a bit concerned that on a nice summer day, leave the top down and then here comes an unexpected rain shower. It has happened to my husband a few times, but just wasn't sure if I should buy the screen protector at all. Just looking for opinions, thanks!
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Hi Everyone! New to the forum and waiting ever so patiently for my JLU. Anyway, just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the touch screen. I ordered the 8.4, but was wondering if this thing is waterproof. I am a bit concerned that on a nice summer day, leave the top down and then here comes an unexpected rain shower. It has happened to my husband a few times, but just wasn't sure if I should buy the screen protector at all. Just looking for opinions, thanks!
Screen protector is indeed a good idea. but will not protect the 8.4" Infotainment Center from rain. Screen Protector will keep screen from getting scratched from bits of sand, stuff on your fingers, kids poking at screen, etc... In regard to rain, rain can be an issue for sure and wreak havoc on more then just the Infotainment Center. Best bet is to have 3 roof pieces with you at all times and get them in place if rain is a possibility or if it starts to rain.

OP
OP

mopperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Definitely agree with you. I ordered just a soft top with mine, so it will definitely be easy to throw up and down, but I figured I would throw it out there and get everyone's thoughts :)

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Definitely agree with you. I ordered just a soft top with mine, so it will definitely be easy to throw up and down, but I figured I would throw it out there and get everyone's thoughts :)
DO, order the 8.4" screen protector. Also, order some touch-up paint for inadvertent chips. 8-)

5Ma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didnā€™t want to start a new thread for this question.
Can someone tell me the dimensions (WxL) of the 8.4ā€ Uconnect screen? Found a temper glass protector on Amazon for an 8.4ā€ uconnect Jeep Grand Cherokee but wanted to make sure itā€™s will fit the JL 8.4ā€ screen.

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
The entire interior of the JL is waterproof...including electronics. No worries with getting it wet.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
The entire interior of the JL is waterproof...including electronics. No worries with getting it wet.
Do you really believe what you typed above. Sure hope not. My guess is you have never owned a Wrangler before or never had one get heavily soaked inside. You let a TJ, JK or JL take a real shower and you will chance lots of issues. Just one example of a major issue is water seeping into clockspring. Anyway, maybe water resistant to a point, but to say no worries getting it wet is waaaaay off base.

Last edited:

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Weatherproof yes. Waterproof no. Much like DSLRā€™s it can probably take a light drizzle but Iā€™d never feel comfortable using my cameraā€™s in a downpour or dunking them in water.