Jerry can or rotopax mounts.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
This isn't an either or, more of an are there any?

I plan to do some boondocking in my airstream, and actually already did a couple of week long trips in it with the jl. First trip I borrowed a 2000w generator, which was enough to run fans and keep cool enough at night while the jeep ran the (propane) fridge off of its dual batteries the rest of the time. Next trip I purchased a 3500w predator and it was enough to run the whole camper, ac included, 24/7 for 5 days - which was necessary due to my buddy's daughter needing to be able to be in ac if she got overheated due to health issues. It ran admirably consuming around 5 gallons a day, and quiet too. He has a jkur with a massive tire carrier and 2 nato cans, so he handled refueling.

Now I'm looking for a way to carry some fuel. I'm looking for rear mount as I don't want to deal with putting them on and off the roof, and front behind fender mount would have gotten damaged in my last trip as I touched the flares to some trees as it was. Since I already have the upgraded steel bumpers and have zero desire to run more than 35s, I don't want to buy a massive tire carrier/ bumper just to carry some jerry cans. 10 gallons should be plenty as I don't plan to run it 24/7, just a few hours each day to cool it down before bed and to recharge the battery that runs the fridge if I can't keep the jeep plugged in to it. It could also be used for water for tent camping/overlanding, which I also plan some of.

I'm not opposed to rotopax, but they're proud of their stuff, and capacity is lower (but looks easier to mount). What's out there? I read that the tire carrier is designed to hold 85lbs extra, and 10 gals of gas should be around 60lbs, but I can't find anything that mounts to the tire and can hold more than 30lbs. Seems like everything requires a thousand dollar monstrosity of a rear bumper. I can't even find much for the jk that doesn't require a bumper and/or carrier, but I think the carrier was weaker so makes some sense.
Sponsored

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Interested in this as well...ideally a bracket from the existing spare tire mount or tailgate that would hold a hi-lift jack and/or rotopax.

OP
OP
bobzdar

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

DocJLU

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
JCR has one that mounts on their tire carrier’s. I used the shield carrier with mount. They also have the adventure carrier that can hold even more.

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SC-RPM.html

This is the set up that I used due to the tail gate not being designed to hold much more than the spare tire. You can put this mount on each side (2X) and hold 2 roto pax on the outer side of each (up to 6-8 gallons per side, not sure about the height on the 4 gallon rotopax) without interfering with the spare. It might even measure out to be able to hold some on the inner side next to the spare tire.

They have other options as well if you are looking to keep your spare mounted to the JL.

Roto pax has this mount.

https://rotopax.com/jeep-tire-mount.html?category_id=7

If your are not worried about keeping the spare on the tire carrier (in camper or in cargo area). It can be combined with this too so you could carry more.

https://rotopax.com/universal-mounting-plate.html?category_id=22

There are definitely a few options out there being that the JL is still an infant in the aftermarket and adventure world.

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
OP
OP
bobzdar

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alas Rotopax tell me it does not fit the JL.
Did they mention any plans for a jl version? At this point I have no more trips planned that would require extra fuel so I can wait a little while. However, if there are no plans I can probably figure out a way to retrofit the jk model.

After further looking, if the bolt spacing is the same then it may just be a matter of increasing the size of the slots on the mount to fit the larger jl bolts. Jl and jk both have the same 4 bolts holding ther tail gate to the hinges, the jls just look alot bigger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
Titan Trail Trekker gets my vote. They are a bit proud of their products as well, however its cheaper than say a new tire carrier bumper that can accommodate jerry cans (like Rock Hard 4x4). JL specific mounts that you won’t be able to take to the next model at probably $100 or more per-side. Add into the cost of a good medal jerry can at about $70 to $80 each and now your within range of Titan’s tank. I think the only down side to the Titan tank is, you'd have to have the generator close to the rear of the Jeep vs simply walking to where ever it is with a jerry can to refuel it.
http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040287

Another option I’ve seen people do is installing a hitch on the back of their trailers, and then putting one of those luggage racks that utilizes the hitch to carry the jerry cans and other stuff like a bike maybe.

OP
OP
bobzdar

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan Trail Trekker gets my vote. They are a bit proud of their products as well, however its cheaper than say a new tire carrier bumper that can accommodate jerry cans (like Rock Hard 4x4). JL specific mounts that you won’t be able to take to the next model at probably $100 or more per-side. Add into the cost of a good medal jerry can at about $70 to $80 each and now your within range of Titan’s tank. I think the only down side to the Titan tank is, you'd have to have the generator close to the rear of the Jeep vs simply walking to where ever it is with a jerry can to refuel it.
http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-trail-trekker-ii-4040287

Another option I’ve seen people do is installing a hitch on the back of their trailers, and then putting one of those luggage racks that utilizes the hitch to carry the jerry cans and other stuff like a bike maybe.
It looks like that would interfere with the backup camera.

I can mount to the trailer using a tongue rack, that's my backup plan if I don't find something else but that wouldn't allow me to carry water or water and fuel on trips when I'm not taking the trailer.

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
The camera should fit, however Im not 100% sure as I have to take a JL apart yet. I'm sure you could get creative with the camera mounting, seen a few brackets for the guys who have been early adopters for the tire carriers.

trail-trekker-2d.jpg

OP
OP
bobzdar

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The camera should fit, however Im not 100% sure as I have to take a JL apart yet. I'm sure you could get creative with the camera mounting, seen a few brackets for the guys who have been early adopters for the tire carriers.

trail-trekker-2d.jpg
According to the description it does not yet fit the jl, but they're working on it so definitely an option. Looks like I'd need to beef up the tire carrier some to handle the extra 100lbs. 12 gallon capacity is nice.

OP
OP
bobzdar

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)