Sponsored

Insulate/Sound Proof hardtop with spray insulation?

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I don't think the freedom panels have enough hollow space to make it worth the effort.
Go to about 3:50 to see the cut panel.

Let us know if you try the DIY sunroof I stead :)
Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I’m actually contemplating having the inside of mine sprayed with Bedliner. Just afraid of the extra weight and what it might do for removing the top.
Anyone thinking about spraying chemicals to the interior, just be cautious. These are very toxic. Bedliner is very toxic and takes days to offgas while it cures.
I would ask a professional if its advisable to use in a small confined space.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I don't think the freedom panels have enough hollow space to make it worth the effort.
Go to about 3:50 to see the cut panel.

Let us know if you try the DIY sunroof I stead :)
Oh nice! Good source to see the inside. Thanks

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I bought a roll of 1/2" charcoal Volara foam (60" x 9ft) from Galaxy Foam in Las Vegas, this is a high density closed cell foam and should work well for some insulation and sound deadening. I'm going to try it on my freedom panels first just to see how it looks and how quiet it is compared to nothing. The front of the freedom panels seem to be the most prone to wind noise so I should know pretty quickly if this is something I'll want to continue through the rest of the roof and sides. Hopefully I'll have a decent day next weekend to get this going.

Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Sounds great. I need all the extra insulation when the doors are off!!! :like:
haha, I live in Florida. Although I will be playing with the doors off, Im going to say most of my driving will be done totally enclosed as in Florida we have swampy weather with lots of sunshine and thunderstorms just 1 mile down the road.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I bought a roll of 1/2" charcoal Volara foam (60" x 9ft) from Galaxy Foam in Las Vegas, this is a high density closed cell foam and should work well for some insulation and sound deadening. I'm going to try it on my freedom panels first just to see how it looks and how quiet it is compared to nothing. The front of the freedom panels seem to be the most prone to wind noise so I should know pretty quickly if this is something I'll want to continue through the rest of the roof and sides. Hopefully I'll have a decent day next weekend to get this going.
Definitely let me know.

I was trying to find some type of heavy/dense matting that I could use instead of the MOPAR or Hotheads. Think something like those business card magnets for your fridge. Something heavy like that (freedom panel sized of course) I would think would do a great job at sound deadening. But still left with the insulation part.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
haha, I live in Florida. Although I will be playing with the doors off, Im going to say most of my driving will be done totally enclosed as in Florida we have swampy weather with lots of sunshine and thunderstorms just 1 mile down the road.
I'm in Alabama, the struggle is real.

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Anyone thinking about spraying chemicals to the interior, just be cautious. These are very toxic. Bedliner is very toxic and takes days to offgas while it cures.
Ive seen some people paint the inside of their hardtop black because it looks better and Ive thought so as well. Any idea if that would void any warranty? If not, I may just look at spraying the lizard skin stuff on the freedom top.

Seems like some pretty neat stuff.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I dipped my hardtop over a year ago to cover up the white and found the rubber coating did act as a temperature and sound buffer. Doesn’t void warranty

Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I dipped my hardtop over a year ago to cover up the white and found the rubber coating did act as a temperature and sound buffer. Doesn’t void warranty
What did you use exactly?

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not a problem as the top would be off until next winter!

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Do Not attempt this! The expansion is a chemical reaction and will expand even when there is nowhere to go. It will ooze out every hole it can find and then bow the top in the weakest area and if still expanding it will pop the top.
I've been in the car culture for many years and seen much, in the '80s I saw a civic that the owner spray foamed the entire car, fenders, doors, any place he could get the can. It did have a very good insulating and sound damping effect but one day he wrecked the car. Guess what?, nobody would or could fix a fender that could not be removed without many hours of work. Yeah, this guy was one of the dumbest I've ever seen but that's why I will always remember it.
If you do decide to try this post up the results, it will most definitely be memorable, good or bad.

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
looks like it would work. Lots of empty space in there. Just don't use too much and make multiple lite holes that are in areas that can't be seen.
Very tempting in this TX heat. When I touch the inside of the top it burns my hand.
Sponsored