rstewart1956

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Okay, Jeep Gurus, help me out.
I have the Alienshade front and rear mesh sunshades that I leave on all the time in my 2021 JLU. I also have been looking at the feasibility of putting the glue in "sound damper" insulation in the freedom panels.
Here is my question-
If I leave the sunshades in all the time, could I put removable foam insulation (like a chair cushion) on top of the sunshade between it and the roof? When I take the panels and roof off I would just remove them and set aside.
Would that make sense?
Would it trap heat between it and the panel?
If I did this would I want to leave some space between the "insulation" and the roof or fill the space with thick enough material?
I know it wouldn't do anything past the back seat for heat, but more than 1/2 would get it.
Thank you for your thoughts and insights.
Rick
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
This sounds like a great idea... going to look at alien shades now

Edit: just ordered some. We use those interlocking foam squares under the air mattress when we go camping so we have a stack of them. I’m going to try those on top of the mesh

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, Jeep Gurus, help me out.
I have the Alienshade front and rear mesh sunshades that I leave on all the time in my 2021 JLU. I also have been looking at the feasibility of putting the glue in "sound damper" insulation in the freedom panels.
Here is my question-
If I leave the sunshades in all the time, could I put removable foam insulation (like a chair cushion) on top of the sunshade between it and the roof? When I take the panels and roof off I would just remove them and set aside.
Would that make sense?
Would it trap heat between it and the panel?
If I did this would I want to leave some space between the "insulation" and the roof or fill the space with thick enough material?
I know it wouldn't do anything past the back seat for heat, but more than 1/2 would get it.
Thank you for your thoughts and insights.
Rick
We finally put the top back on yesterday after installing the Alienshade. I put some of those foam squares between the top and the mesh both front and rear. It definitely makes the cab less boomy, conversation is much easier. It also seems like it stays cooler inside as well but that's hard to quantify.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We finally put the top back on yesterday after installing the Alienshade. I put some of those foam squares between the top and the mesh both front and rear. It definitely makes the cab less boomy, conversation is much easier. It also seems like it stays cooler inside as well but that's hard to quantify.
Hello, I have the full length Spiderweb shade but just looked and I can put those pads on too. so you think they help for sound and temp ?

I believe against my wishes going to put my top and doors back on. Took short 8 mile trip last week 11AM and back of shirt on down was soaked. Just too hot and humid.

Have you googled the new Lone Star Off-Road park yet? Just looking at heir FB post off website its for sure in flood plain. Those Buggies were even buried in mud. Waiting for it to dry up before going to see it. Not interested in burying New Jeep in mud. Looking at their post it was open early March. During the real flooding rains we had mid-May it had to close.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello, I have the full length Spiderweb shade but just looked and I can put those pads on too. so you think they help for sound and temp ?

I believe against my wishes going to put my top and doors back on. Took short 8 mile trip last week 11AM and back of shirt on down was soaked. Just too hot and humid.

Have you googled the new Lone Star Off-Road park yet? Just looking at heir FB post off website its for sure in flood plain. Those Buggies were even buried in mud. Waiting for it to dry up before going to see it. Not interested in burying New Jeep in mud. Looking at their post it was open early March. During the real flooding rains we had mid-May it had to close.
I am very confident they helped with noise, the in cab temp is harder to tell but I can't imagine it would make it worse.

Similar for us, Saturday evening drive and it was just a tad uncomfortable.

yeah exactly - I've heard that park mentioned a few times but I'm not digging the idea of sinking to the sliders in mud. Slogging through it to get un-stuck, then destroying the interior with my muddy self.

I missed the run to Barnwell mountain last weekend the LSJC did so thats up on my priority list along with Bridgeport. I kinda hate that the ORV stickers expire end of August but I guess I'll have to bite the bullet since they both require one.
Sponsored