How Much 12V Is Too Much?

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Hey y'all, just checking in as I'm curious about the limits of our OE battery and system in regards to 12v accessories. Currently I have:
* A startup chime box, tied into a pigtail in the 12v cigar lighter
* RGBW footwell glow, on the same pigtail
* Oracle DRL halos on my headlights tied into fuse 52 (12v cigar lighter)
* Oracle skid plate lightbar, rock lights, gmrs radio and windshield glow panels all on their own switches in a S-Tech six switch kit
* Rexing V1P dashcam on an OBDII connector

Lately, I've started to see my battery light come on within about five minutes of takeoff if I've got both the rock lights and glow panels running. To my fault, I still have not bothered getting the footwell glow to only come on when the headlights are on, so they are constantly running. The OBDII Adapter for my dashcam is also a little wonky - it's supposed to shut off if the battery dips below a certain voltage, but as far as I can tell it will keep running juice to the cam unless I flip the rocker switch on it and actually see the cam power down. All of this to say, I'm a little worried for when I go to install more serious lightbars, a winch or other accessories. Think it could be the battery going out, or maybe my system is poorly optimized? Any thoughts appreciated!
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The JL alternator is rather beefy, especially if you have the tow package. In general you don't need to worry about how much power your accessories are drawing while the engine is running. As long as it isn't crazy high power, the accessory has an appropriate fuse and you're not blowing it, the alternator should handle it.

What you do need to worry about is the amount of power you're drawing while the engine is off. That can reduce the lifespan of the batteries. AGM batteries do not like sitting idle below 100% charge. It slowly destroys them. The lower they get between being charged to 100% the worse it is. The JL already has some always-on electronics that draw from the battery while the JL is parked, which is why batteries tend to last only 2-3 years now instead of 5-7 like they did on older vehicles. If you add more accessories that draw power while the engine is off it just makes it worse.

A lot of people who don't drive on a daily basis (myself included) put a trickle charger on when the Jeep sits idle. This insures the battery remains at 100% charge in spite of those always-on accessories and maximizes the lifespan of the batteries. Another option if the Jeep is parked outdoors is the Cascadia 4x4 hood solar panel which automatically does the same thing as the trickle charger.

OP
OP
JP29

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
The JL alternator is rather beefy, especially if you have the tow package. In general you don't need to worry about how much power your accessories are drawing while the engine is running. As long as it isn't crazy high power, the accessory has an appropriate fuse and you're not blowing it, the alternator should handle it.

What you do need to worry about is the amount of power you're drawing while the engine is off. That can reduce the lifespan of the batteries. AGM batteries do not like sitting idle below 100% charge. It slowly destroys them. The lower they get between being charged to 100% the worse it is. The JL already has some always-on electronics that draw from the battery while the JL is parked, which is why batteries tend to last only 2-3 years now instead of 5-7 like they did on older vehicles. If you add more accessories that draw power while the engine is off it just makes it worse.

A lot of people who don't drive on a daily basis (myself included) put a trickle charger on when the Jeep sits idle. This insures the battery remains at 100% charge in spite of those always-on accessories and maximizes the lifespan of the batteries. Another option if the Jeep is parked outdoors is the Cascadia 4x4 hood solar panel which automatically does the same thing as the trickle charger.
Thanks for the response! I'm a lowly sport owner, so I believe my alternator is the weaker version. I'd actually been mulling over upgrading it, though not sure whether it would help with this issue any. Aside from the dash cam, all other devices are tied to ignition power via the fuse 52 12v or the switch bank relays, so I'd hope there's no negative effects while the vehicle is off. Typically it's my DD as well, so not sure whether a trickle charger would benefit me, although if I could finagle some kind of quick disconnect system I might still try it. Good point on the hood solar panel as well, I need to give them a look. Hoping at some point to switch to a 392 style ram air hood, so that might play a part too.
Sponsored