Sponsored

How are rockslide engineering side steps holding up?

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Hello how have your RSE' held up offroading.. Can they really act as a true rock slide? or do you need to purchase the $500+ protective cover they offer?

Is it a body mount of frame mount?
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Some folks have reported some issues in the snow. but that’s all I know about that.

as for mounting, they mount to the bolts that hold the body to the frame. MANY people have reported snapping these bolts when they tried to remove them. The RSE rails do not require the removal of these bolts but they do require the bolts to be loosened.

there are some 4x4 shops that will not even attempt to remove the body bolts on a JL. Others will and do. I suggest that you study the large thread on this site about these bolts before deciding what you wish to do.

all that said, folks have tackled installs that require getting at those frame/body bolts and reported no issues. Others reported that they needed to heat the bolt first but were able to get it out.

the thread will help you decide. I will find it and link to it.

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon. 2017 Moto Guzzi V7.
Some folks have reported some issues in the snow. but that’s all I know about that.

as for mounting, they mount to the bolts that hold the body to the frame. MANY people have reported snapping these bolts when they tried to remove them. The RSE rails do not require the removal of these bolts but they do require the bolts to be loosened.

there are some 4x4 shops that will not even attempt to remove the body bolts on a JL. Others will and do. I suggest that you study the large thread on this site about these bolts before deciding what you wish to do.

all that said, folks have tackled installs that require getting at those frame/body bolts and reported no issues. Others reported that they needed to heat the bolt first but were able to get it out.

the thread will help you decide. I will find it and link to it.
I did the install myself and did't have any problems with the frame bolts. You do have to put some back into it. Loosen them enough to slide the mounting bracket on and re-torque when done.
I have banged mine a few times and used them to "slide" over a ledge or two. No problem so far. I'm going to Colorado in two weeks to try some trails so I'm sure I will bang em up some more so we will see.
Overall I am very happy with my RSE rails. Wife is challenged so I had to have steps for her.
Sponsored