Hocking Hills Ohio

Bcrab

First Name
Jamie h crabtre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep JL
Have a trip planned at end of dec first of January. Anybody been in this area that time of year? Am I going to freeze my @ss off being from Alabama? How bad should I expect the roads to be? Plan on trying a winter tour to the wilds. And some light hiking around old mans cave etc. any info about area. Roads. Food etc would be appreciated. Never been. Also 18’ Jeep JL w/ 35” ATs. No winch or anything yet. Maybe won’t need it or snow chains
Thx Crab
Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Have a trip planned at end of dec first of January. Anybody been in this area that time of year? Am I going to freeze my @ss off being from Alabama? How bad should I expect the roads to be? Plan on trying a winter tour to the wilds. And some light hiking around old mans cave etc. any info about area. Roads. Food etc would be appreciated. Never been. Also 18’ Jeep JL w/ 35” ATs. No winch or anything yet. Maybe won’t need it or snow chains
Thx Crab
Being from Alabama of course its going to be cold and you freezing your ass off. For an Ohio boy, not so much.
Hiking Old Man's cave and other trails around; if you follow the Grandma Gatewood trail down towards Cedar Falls there are opportunities to see some nice ice cones, if it's cold enough. I've hike this area many many times and have enjoyed most of them. They have an annual Winter Hike on that trail which gets EXTREMELY crowded (3000+ hikers at once). I have been out there where it was -13* when I started and it was me by myself with opportunities for awesome photos without anyone else out there. Recommended trails: Grandma Gatewood's trail from Old Man's cave to Ash Cave (12 mile out and back). That covers Old Man's cave, Cedar Falls and Ash Cave trails all-in-one. Conkle's Hollow (Gorge is like a mile out and back and Rim trail is around 2.5 miles), Cantwell Cliffs, a mile out and back. Rock House is a short trail but very interesting tunnel-like open cave formation.
Roads should be well maintained. Its a very popular spot all year round.
If you like Pizza, check out Pizza Crossing in Logan, awesome pizza. Breakfast in Logan, M&M Family Diner. It's a little diner in downtown Logan. Not much visual appeal but they used to have really good breakfasts. Craft beer, check out Brewery 33 in Logan. Wine, Hocking Hills Winery.
Are you staying in a cabin in the HH area?
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bcrab

First Name
Jamie h crabtre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep JL
Being from Alabama of course its going to be cold and you freezing your ass off. For an Ohio boy, not so much.
Hiking Old Man's cave and other trails around; if you follow the Grandma Gatewood trail down towards Cedar Falls there are opportunities to see some nice ice cones, if it's cold enough. I've hike this area many many times and have enjoyed most of them. They have an annual Winter Hike on that trail which gets EXTREMELY crowded (3000+ hikers at once). I have been out there where it was -13* when I started and it was me by myself with opportunities for awesome photos without anyone else out there. Recommended trails: Grandma Gatewood's trail from Old Man's cave to Ash Cave (12 mile out and back). That covers Old Man's cave, Cedar Falls and Ash Cave trails all-in-one. Conkle's Hollow (Gorge is like a mile out and back and Rim trail is around 2.5 miles), Cantwell Cliffs, a mile out and back. Rock House is a short trail but very interesting tunnel-like open cave formation.
Roads should be well maintained. Its a very popular spot all year round.
If you like Pizza, check out Pizza Crossing in Logan, awesome pizza. Breakfast in Logan, M&M Family Diner. It's a little diner in downtown Logan. Not much visual appeal but they used to have really good breakfasts. Craft beer, check out Brewery 33 in Logan. Wine, Hocking Hills Winery.
Are you staying in a cabin in the HH area?
Let me know if you have any more questions.
We’re staying in a rental apartment in Amanda area. Staying 4 nights and want to see everything we can lol. You ever visit the wilds park? Won’t be same tour as summer but we’re seriously considering it just to check it out. Also be the first trip in the Jeep anywhere as we just got it. So far love it, just little getting used to coming from a lifted 17 ram diesel lol

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
We’re staying in a rental apartment in Amanda area. Staying 4 nights and want to see everything we can lol. You ever visit the wilds park? Won’t be same tour as summer but we’re seriously considering it just to check it out. Also be the first trip in the Jeep anywhere as we just got it. So far love it, just little getting used to coming from a lifted 17 ram diesel lol
When we drive up to Hocking Hills we pass right by the town of Amanda. We usually stay in a secluded cabin away from the state park. There's plenty to see in the hocking hills region. Never been out to The Wilds. If you are into military aircraft Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton has an excellent museum. I know it's not close to Amanda, but on you way in or back home? https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ (I'm retired Air Force so I'm kind of partial to it)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
When we drive up to Hocking Hills we pass right by the town of Amanda. We usually stay in a secluded cabin away from the state park. There's plenty to see in the hocking hills region. Never been out to The Wilds. If you are into military aircraft Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton has an excellent museum. I know it's not close to Amanda, but on you way in or back home? https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/ (I'm retired Air Force so I'm kind of partial to it)
I also give a big thumbs up for the Wright Patterson Air Force Base/Museum. While I have not done the Hocking Hills area. My good bud was there last weekend and his photos looked amazing. He mostly did hiking.

Sponsored

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
We did the Wilds tour this summer and loved it! Great location and they take you on the tour and get up close to all of the critters.
Check out flint ridge just north of the wilds.

OP
OP

Bcrab

First Name
Jamie h crabtre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep JL
Just wanted to say thx. Trip was awesome. The wilds was a blast. And Hocking hills was some great hiking. The Jeep done better than I could imagine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hocking Hills Ohio 4A65AFAC-EEE6-4189-8D85-73D7C615C0A7
Jeep Wrangler JL Hocking Hills Ohio 2E75F066-ADA3-4931-9837-198159A83562
Jeep Wrangler JL Hocking Hills Ohio D73E3A68-66DE-4068-BE67-85C4BCFFA212
Sponsored