Sponsored

High Water Mark Trail: what should we know?

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
I searched the site, but found very little info on the High Water Mark Trail aka Ozark Overland Adventure Trail.
So I thought I'd start a thread where people can contribute knowledge for those considering doing the trail in the future (like me)
Various web sites identify multiple different routes. The most commonly referenced route is 140 miles long, 15ish water crossings; some may be 30+ inches deep, hence the necessity to check Buffalo River water gauges as linked below.

I'll try to keep this first post updated with links and other pertinent info.

GPS route file: HERE (need to sign up for free membership to site)

Buffalo river water gauge: HERE

Good places to camp? Must haves? Avoid? pics!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
A brand new video just dropped by Ozark Overland Adventures on YouTube about this very trail if I recall correctly.

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Self-employed
Following as I live in Arkansas and was just told about this trail the other day. Looking forward to it one day.

Sponsored

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
So we hit parts of the trail yesterday and today. We had a blast! Will definitely be back! We started in Snoball, AR because the river at St Joe was high. We crossed Richland Creek and camped at Richland Creek campground last night. Stopped at six finger falls and 2 other falls to let the kid run and play and made it to HWY 7 near Mocassin Gap and called it done for the weekend. Temps are possibly reaching single digits with wind chill and our Coleman tent did nothing for the wind last night lol. Definitely need to upgrade. Enjoy the crossing with our friends Gladiator with the 6.4 swap. What a beast it is!

Attachments

Radguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubi, 2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Ecodiesel
So we hit parts of the trail yesterday and today. We had a blast! Will definitely be back! We started in Snoball, AR because the river at St Joe was high. We crossed Richland Creek and camped at Richland Creek campground last night. Stopped at six finger falls and 2 other falls to let the kid run and play and made it to HWY 7 near Mocassin Gap and called it done for the weekend. Temps are possibly reaching single digits with wind chill and our Coleman tent did nothing for the wind last night lol. Definitely need to upgrade. Enjoy the crossing with our friends Gladiator with the 6.4 swap. What a beast it is!
Where did you try to cross at St Joe that was too high? Woolum?

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
Where did you try to cross at St Joe that was too high? Woolum?
Yes it was at the time we tried. So we started at Richland creek and continued on.

Sponsored

Radguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubi, 2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Ecodiesel
Yes it was at the time we tried. So we started at Richland creek and continued on.
You have to cross the Buffalo up stream from the ford at Woolum. You take the gravel bar up to the rapids. The crossing on Richland is usually the deeper of the two. Send me a message and I will share some other roads in the area worth driving

ZCashio

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self-employed
You have to cross the Buffalo up stream from the ford at Woolum. You take the gravel bar up to the rapids. The crossing on Richland is usually the deeper of the two. Send me a message and I will share some other roads in the area worth driving
We came across another couple who said that it was deeper so we took their word for it and they just started at Richland creek. We knew we weren’t going to be able to make the whole trail anyways so it didn’t matter to us. It all worked out as we approached Richland creek campground just before dark. Our friends and I both said we’d do the full trail again someday. Have you done the full trail? And we had yet to buy a snorkel, etc for our Jeep so had to work ourselves into off-roading as we had just bought the Jeep 2 weeks ago lol
Sponsored