Sponsored

Hayden Pass

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Something above ~10k ft that's actually open! What a concept!

Ran Hayden today, it was great. One small downed tree but fortunately I had my Fuel Hackzall w a pruning blade, so cleared that.

Found surprisingly reliable and accurate pass info at a site called bushducks.com, which I had never before heard of.

Anyway, no problems on Hayden with a stock JLUR. Started raining pretty good on the hardest parts of the climb but the stock BFG's impressed me. I actually didn't bother airing down and never once dreamed of using the lockers, although the 4:1 is ALWAYS appreciated (gear reduction is the 8th Great Wonder of the World IMO)

If you're inexperienced this Pass will freak you out. If you're used to the Colorado mountains you'll do fine in a stock Wrangler Sport whilst sipping a latte (hey I was drinking a mocha from a Westcliffe coffee shop, so I'm not knocking expensive coffee!)

Ran Coaldale (Salida) side to Villa Grove.

Incidentally, Medano is closed due to damage which bums me out because odds are high when they "repair" it they'll make it Prius-passable; I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, the summit of Hayden and a view of the valley floor dropping toward Villa Grove

IMG_20190708_142624341.jpg

IMG_20190708_145154833_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I was just up near there today and just got back to Albuquerque. Beautiful country!

OP
OP
D60

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Also according to the bushducks site Pearl won't open this year at all due to avalanche damage.

Pearl was really on my bucket list this year - even though I figured it could be mid-Sept because it's generally one of the last to open even during an average winter - because I'd say it's maybe THE most beautiful pass I've done.

I'm also wondering how Schofield and the Devil's Punchbowl fared the winter...
Sponsored