Hard top clean up

Stella

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JK
I am going to sell my hardtop, and I wanted to shine it up as well as the bumpers. Any suggestions on what works best?
Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I just use tire shine after washing (I've only done fenders and bumpers but roof is same concept) but there is also VRP by chemical guys and nufinish has something for black trim as well.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
The hard top is painted so any automotive polish or wax will work. I just use a spray ceramic coating like the rest of the paint and mine looks great all the time.

OP
OP

Stella

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JK
I just use tire shine after washing (I've only done fenders and bumpers but roof is same concept) but there is also VRP by chemical guys and nufinish has something for black trim as well.
Thanks for the recommendation

OP
OP

Stella

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JK
The hard top is painted so any automotive polish or wax will work. I just use a spray ceramic coating like the rest of the paint and mine looks great all the time.
Good idea. Thanks

Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
This is only if you have a painted hard top. if you have the regular black hard top, wax will dry white on it.
I don't have the upgraded painted top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hard top clean up 20210121_114716
The paint has some texture but it is not porous and should not be a problem (unless your tops are different than mine?). Also, the ceramic spray doesn't leave any white residue.

This stuff works pretty good. It deepens the color of the paint and looks great. Id recommend reapplying every 3 months. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-W...423331361?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
The paint has some texture but it is not porous and should not be a problem (unless your tops are different than mine?). Also, the ceramic spray doesn't leave any white residue.

This stuff works pretty good. It deepens the color of the paint and looks great. Id recommend reapplying every 3 months. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-W...423331361?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
ceramic spray is fine. but wax and some polishes will leave a white residue, i've tried nufinish polish and i've also accidentally gotten some various waxes on it. The ceramic probably works well though. I've been using Meguiars tire shine gel on the fenders (I don't have painted fenders like you) and it has incredible viscosity so i haven't attempted to try anything else lol

OP
OP

Stella

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JK

I should have clarified I have the regular black top — not painted

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Never use that tire shine crap on anything. Tire shine products will eventually damage the hardtop finish. How often have you seen a Jeep a few years old and the black is all messed up on the hardtop? Tire shine and Armor All products are why. I don’t even use it on tires.

For the hardtop, Turtle Wax Ice (not a wax) will leave a nice matte finish that will bead water.

If you must use a spray product, 303 is great for the fenders, trim and hardtop. You could also use Pledge furniture polish, but it wont last long.

Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Never use that tire shine crap on anything. Tire shine products will eventually damage the hardtop finish. How often have you seen a Jeep a few years old and the black is all messed up on the hardtop? Tire shine and Armor All products are why. I don’t even use it on tires.

For the hardtop, Turtle Wax Ice (not a wax) will leave a nice matte finish that will bead water.

If you must use a spray product, 303 is great for the fenders, trim and hardtop. You could also use Pledge furniture polish, but it wont last long.
I always thought that was from sun fading it? Haven't ever seen anything on using a tire shine that is safe for plastic known to be causing issues. Not saying you are wrong. Just curious.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The black on the hardtop is a matte paint finish that is very thin. It is not molded in color plastic. The solvents that make tire shine/Armor All products absorb into rubber and plastic just deteriorate that paint finish.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
The black on the hardtop is a matte paint finish that is very thin. It is not molded in color plastic. The solvents that make tire shine/Armor All products absorb into rubber and plastic just deteriorate that paint finish.
ah gotcha, yeah i've only used it a few times on my fenders and bumpers. I haven't really tried anything on the hard top except a soap wash and quick detailer

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
303 Aerospace Protectant is much better for your plastic trim, it has no solvents or distillates in it, so it won't turn your flares and bumpers gray over time. Tires should never shine, just saying.
Sponsored