Grizzl-E Smart Charger issue?

Jamonge

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Sting grey
I am wondering if someone might know what i am doing wrong or if something is wrong with my Level 2 charger. I purchased a Grizzl-E Level 2 smart Charger last week and it arrived last Friday. I had an electrician put in a 14-50P plug into my garage and wired it to a 40amp breaker in the panel Before the charger arrived. The charger has been toggled to 32amp charging.
Before I received this charger I was using the level 1 Jeep charger for the last 10 days since I received my 2022 4xe Rubicon. I had zero issues with the Jeep level 1 charger. It worked perfect.
The Grizzl-E when I first plug it in I receive an error message on my dash every single time “Issue detected check external charging station”. When I unplug the charger and replug, doing a Force Charge, it operates correctly and charges the Jeep. I also noticed that the Charger when I replugged on the second time it makes one click noise, as if it turns on and it immediately starts charging. This is the only way I can get it to charge? Any suggestions from the forum
Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I have the base grizzl-e charger. Not sure what all your challenge is but at least the clicking is normal- my charger also clicks when the relays engage to start the flow of power to the jeep.

Deleted member 72291

Another user here with the “dumb” grizzl-e and same as @N8213 the clicking is completely normal.

As for the “check external charging station” error, first thing to check is that there’s not a charging schedule setup in the Uconnect on the Jeep. Second, ensure the firmware is updated on the grizzl-e.

There’ve been known issues with the firmware on the smart chargers causing issues.

OP
OP
Jamonge

Jamonge

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe Sting grey
How do you know what firmware is on the charger? I just purchased it from Grizzl-E last week. I would think it would have the latest but you never know.

Deleted member 72291

How do you know what firmware is on the charger? I just purchased it from Grizzl-E last week. I would think it would have the latest but you never know.
Not sure on that, but I would assume there’s a companion smart phone app for the charger that would tell you the version. It may be a unit they’ve had in inventory that wasn’t updated.

I’ve heard many stories of software issues with the smart chargers from several manufacturers, so I purposefully went with a “dumb” version. I’ve had zero issues with my non-smart grizzl-e!