Sponsored

Good trails in Orange County - SD County?

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
First regional section post! Looking forward to meeting some of you guys when I get my JL next year.

What’s some of the favorite trails in Orange or SD county that are are good for beginner-intermediate? I’m currently in Oceanside so can get to both areas easily.

Do you guys usually go solo or in groups? New to the area so would be nice to meet some members here to go on runs with once folks get their JL’s ;)
Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Rubicon
Hey Campbell,

There are plenty of trails around the San Diego area. There's all of Anza Borrego State Park, Ocotillo Wells, Corral Canyon OHV area. Look into those areas.

Also an easy one with nice views is the Palomar Divide Road Trail that goes from the 79 up the "back side" of Palomar Mountain to the fire lookout.

OP
OP
Campbell

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Hey Campbell,

There are plenty of trails around the San Diego area. There's all of Anza Borrego State Park, Ocotillo Wells, Corral Canyon OHV area. Look into those areas.

Also an easy one with nice views is the Palomar Divide Road Trail that goes from the 79 up the "back side" of Palomar Mountain to the fire lookout.
Thanks for the recommendations! Bookmarked for when my JL comes in :)

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
First regional section post! Looking forward to meeting some of you guys when I get my JL next year.

What’s some of the favorite trails in Orange or SD county that are are good for beginner-intermediate? I’m currently in Oceanside so can get to both areas easily.

Do you guys usually go solo or in groups? New to the area so would be nice to meet some members here to go on runs with once folks get their JL’s ;)
Some good info in here:

https://www.ebay.com/i/222830142560?chn=ps&fl=a

I no longer live in LA - but that book is a great resource when it comes to getting out there, especially if you've never done it before. Enjoy!

AP_Rubi_18

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR!
Just got my JLU last week and will be exploring as well for the first time....move recently from FL.

Looking into joining the San Diego Jeep Club.... but I'm a bit north of you @Campbell near Irvine.

Did you get yours?

Thank you for the book recommendation @gumbyhoss definitely buying that!

Sponsored

Dbwy

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I went to the Otay Truck Trail in my JK Rubicon for the first time today. A lot of people online rave about it. I will never go back. Pretty boring and not technical at all.

nick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I went out this weekend to Bear Valley Trailhead https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recarea/?recid=47404 after running into some closed truck trails the previous weekend. There were some little mud pits and 1 element I thought was really challenging. I wish I had taken some pictures on it. It was a deeply cross-rutted section on a steep incline. I went down it before I knew I had to go back up it. The jeep took it like a champ though and seriously impressed me. It was a great first trail.

We heard from another rig that the trail didn't exit the other end like the map showed so just know you'll have to pick your own half-way point and head back they way you came.

@Dbwy The Otay truck trail was one of the trails that was closed with a locked gate.
Sponsored