Sponsored

Flat pack Jeep- these would sell like crazy...

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat pack Jeep- these would sell like crazy... 1612891093690

I think that these would sell like crazy if they came out with them now. Is there some kind of kit car exemption that would allow these?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That particular one was built to show how they used to ship from the factories in WWII. I’d love to have one, but I doubt an original is out there. If a company like Omix-ADA built a kit like that it would cost as much as a new Sport. Almost all the parts are out there to build a new one. The bodies are still made in the Philippines.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That particular one was built to show how they used to ship from the factories in WWII. I’d love to have one, but I doubt an original is out there. If a company like Omix-ADA built a kit like that it would cost as much as a new Sport. Almost all the parts are out there to build a new one. The bodies are still made in the Philippines.
Let's be honest, though. Would you buy an entire vehicle built by Omix-ADA?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Jeep blew it when they drove Mihindra out of the domestic UTV market. Jeep could have embraced the idea and cooperated in some sort of joint venture to sell what is essentially a modern flat pack Jeep to all of us that own fancy-optioned Rubicons, but really want a JEEP.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The Mahindra Roxor is back. The grille was changed and looks like an FJ40 now. You could still put a reproduction CJ grille in to make it look like a Jeep again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
1612891093690.png

I think that these would sell like crazy if they came out with them now. Is there some kind of kit car exemption that would allow these?
I love how you found the picture I cropped out lol.

To answer your question, you can get buddy buddy with @Quadratec and build a CJ or YJ from the ground up by buying all parts only from their catalog.

This assumes that you have the tools, the skill, the time and the money to make it all happen. It is possible and would cost $35k to $40k in parts alone.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The Mahindra Roxor back. The grille was changed and looks like an FJ40 now. You could still put a reproduction CJ grille in to make it look like a Jeep again.
I think it looks better with the revised grille. The angled slots didn't look good at all.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
jeep in a box is what they called it. if memory serves me correct. back in the late 70s early 80s there was a surplus of these jeep in a box to be had for pretty cheap.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
jeep in a box is what they called it. if memory serves me correct. back in the late 70s early 80s there was a surplus of these jeep in a box to be had for pretty cheap.
When I was in Junior High, I used to see these advertised in the back of magazines. I was never quite sure if they were a real thing or some kind of gimmick, but I wanted one (even though I wasn’t old enough to drive yet!).

I was trying to figure out how to go in on one with a friend - which of course never worked - but I think the price was in the range of $750-$1000. Does anyone else remember how much these were?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Sell like crazy, to who? The few that wrench. Hell, I had to show a 20+ something old guy the other day how to put air in his tire at the gas station.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MileHigher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 White Sahara Altitude
Sell like crazy, to who? The few that wrench. Hell, I had to show a 20+ something old guy the other day how to put air in his tire at the gas station.
I'm not saying that there wouldn't be a lot of partially completed kits on the 'used' market, just that they would sell like crazy. Never underestimate people's overestimating their abilities...

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
but I think the price was in the range of $750-$1000. Does anyone else remember how much these were?
$500 for a jeep in a box for some reason pops up in my head. not sure if thats correct.
Sponsored