Drummond Island

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
We are looking at a trip to Drummond Island here in August. This will be the first time we are here. Wondering if anyone has been and can provide feedback on the trail difficulty. Also welcome any feedback on the turtle ridge off road park, thanks!!!
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have been to Drummond Island many times. STAY ON THE TRAILS. The DNR will write you a ticket. The trails are fun and have a lot rock to make the rough at times, so air down to smooth out the ride. There is water and mud. It the mud hole looks like it is rutted going in or out of the hole. Check it for depth or go around. Winch or another vehicle with you is advised. The trails are not difficult, just watch for the deep mud holes. I have wheeled Drummond Island with ATVs, SxS, Geo Tracker on 31s and Jeeps. When you get to Marble Head, park the Jeep and walk the 100 yards out to the overlook. It is worth it.

I have not gone to the off road park. There is plenty to explore with out paying to wheel on the island.

This is where I like to swim and watch the sunset. Just know when you step off the ledge into the water, the water is VERY deep. ankle deep on top of the ledge, drop off the ledge is it like 60 feet deep. so be aware if you have kids with you. Fossil Ledges is cool because just about every rock you pick up with have some type of fossil in it.

Fossil Ledges

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I was just there a couple weeks ago and @wilbornz is spot-on.

I am kicking myself, though. I didn't know about the overlook. So I'll add that to the 100 reasons to go back!

We did do the fossil ledges and they were just awesome! The water temp was cool, but it has warmed significantly since then, so if I were going again, I'd probably spend a good bit more time in the water. I've got some drone video that I'll post up when I get time to pull it from the memory card. It gives an amazing view of the ledges from way up in the air where you can really see them.

Here's a short clip of the Marblehead Loop trail at what I think was called the shale beach or something like that. It was on the southeastern shore. Not the best resolution, but like I said, once I pull it directly from the memory card, it'll be in HD. Part of the trail went through the water because Lake Huron is high at this time.

OP
OP
Blades

Blades

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
Thanks Guys!!! Appreciate it!

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Old thread but will an un armored Sport on 33s be ok on Drummond? Going with a couple Rubicon’s and don’t want to have to be pulled out constantly or worry too much about dragging. Trying for a Rubicon suspension swap but they aren’t widely available in MI.

Will the KO2 A/Ts from a Rubicon be good or are MTs a must?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Old thread but will an un armored Sport on 33s be ok on Drummond? Going with a couple Rubicon’s and don’t want to have to be pulled out constantly or worry too much about dragging. Trying for a Rubicon suspension swap but they aren’t widely available in MI.

Will the KO2 A/Ts from a Rubicon be good or are MTs a must?
Hi! I think you'd be fine. Just watch deep mud holes and ruts. Rubicons have to do that, too. I did it on KO2's. They are better in mud than people think. Not an MT, but still will get you out of trouble.

I would suggest having more than one Jeep. I anticipated lots of traffic back there because it was 4th of July week and I was wrong. If I had known, I would have brought a buddy with another jeep.

I would just proceed into mud with extreme caution.

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Thanks Dan. There will be 3-4 of us and at least 1 winch if/when someone gets stuck

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dan. There will be 3-4 of us and at least 1 winch if/when someone gets stuck
Ok, then you are in better shape than I was! Lol! I got into a couple sticky situations that almost got me. That's how I found out the KO2s are better in mud than thought! :CWL:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Here are some pics from Drummond Island.

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614010771247

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614010799619

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614010830578

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614010857547

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614010888089

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614011021284

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614011207856

video from the water crossing. It is a long water crossing...

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island 1614011244859

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
Cool video, I’ll be sure to pack my swimmies!

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest water crossings have bypasses. The water can be deep depending on season.

Jeep Wrangler JL Drummond Island AK3Z8459
Sponsored