Dcs Lighting Rock Lights

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Has anyone installed the DCS rock lights on a 4 door wrangler?

I have 2 issues:

* the passenger side (b) wiring harness is too short for the rear drain plug connection. This is easy enough to create an extension, but adds time / cost to what was supposed to be turn key.

* the drain plug light is directly above the heat shield. Maybe this is only a 3.6L issue, but I fail to see how this light even is practical in its location.

Both problems can be solved by not using the the drain plug light. Before I make a final decision, I was hoping to hear from others that have done this install.
Sponsored

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I have installed two sets of these exact lights. One set on my wifes 2019 JLU Rubicon and one set on my 2020 JLU Rubicon.

I had no problem connecting the wiring harness to the rear drain plug connection. There was plenty of harness to make the connection.

On the heat shield issue. The 2019 heat shield is different than the 2020 heat shield. The 2019 heat shield was made AROUND the drain plug, while the 2020 was made OVER the drain plug. Strange. The heat shield over the drain hole on the 2020 did not set against the drain plug, but instead was raised. I simply cut the area that covered the heat shield and installed the light.

I notified DCS about this change and sent him pictures. He indicated that he would make a change in the instructions; I guess that didn't happen.

2020 heat shield cut away.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dcs Lighting Rock Lights 20201219_195534

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on the "B" harness, where the exit is just forward of the axle (above the LCA), did you exit the frame on the top or the bottom?

HOw did you route the wire from the drain plug to the harness? I tried to follow the bumper frame, and then the frame rail, but that is where I am running out of wire. Taking a shortcut across may work, but I was worried about pinching and/or heat.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
on the "B" harness, where the exit is just forward of the axle (above the LCA), did you exit the frame on the top or the bottom?

HOw did you route the wire from the drain plug to the harness? I tried to follow the bumper frame, and then the frame rail, but that is where I am running out of wire. Taking a shortcut across may work, but I was worried about pinching and/or heat.
I will look and let you know.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR

The connecting wire from the drain plug light is very long, and there should be plenty of wire.

The harness exits the frame on the BOTTOM.

I ran the wire from the cargo drain plug light between the heat shield and the cargo tub, then over the rear axle vent tube, then over the upper spring mount, then down the side of the spring down to the bottom hole of the frame and connected the light to the harness. I zip tied the wire all along the way.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, going that route I can most likely make it. I have the rear bumper off, so was trying to go inside the frame tube of the bumper, and turn into the side rails at the rear....thats why I came up short.
Sponsored