Sponsored

Cold Air Intake (CAI) from Mopar catalog

cyberdan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK wranger
Hi Everyone,

Im looking for your opinion on the expected performance gains by using the Cold Air Intake from the Mopar parts catalog?

Im planning on getting the 2.0 for my JLU and wondering if this will exceed the specs of the Pentastar for HP? How much torque benefit might come as well?

Im also curious if you think this would be a significant/worthwhile upgrade on the Pentastar if I were to go that route instead? Has anyone done this and measured the difference on the current Pentastar?

Thanks for your thoughts and speculation,

Dan
Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I wish I knew the answer to this also.....whenever CAI comes up on Jeep forums I just sit back and watch the heated debate.....

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
At least this one is sold by Mopar, so hopefully some engineering went into its design...,.right?

Probably looking at 50+ HP gains from a simple bolt on accessory. :giggle:

Adding oil catch cans seem to be the latest fad with direct injection engines in order to help keep the valves free of carbon buildup.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Im looking for your opinion on the expected performance gains by using the Cold Air Intake from the Mopar parts catalog?
Virtually none. They do nothing for the JK, nor any previous Wrangler, so I can't imagine they're going to do anything for the JL.

I wish I knew the answer to this also.....whenever CAI comes up on Jeep forums I just sit back and watch the heated debate.....
You'll notice for all the videos posted on the Internet of JKs with CAIs, none of them actually show any kind of performance improvement. People show off the install, review the sound it makes, but there aren't any before or after dynos, no 0-60 comparisons, and nobody is peeling out of a cars and coffee in their JK with their sweet CAI before plowing into a curb.

The only thing a Wrangler CAI improves is the weight of your wallet.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
At least this one is sold by Mopar, so hopefully some engineering went into its design...,.right?

Probably looking at 50+ HP gains from a simple bolt on accessory. :giggle:

Adding oil catch cans seem to be the latest fad with direct injection engines in order to help keep the valves free of carbon buildup.
LOL .......

for best cold air pickup make sure you plumb it to just below the front bumper...

Sponsored

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have CAI's on all my performance vehicles - both Mopar and K&N - neither affects warranty not sure what issue with finding one but FWIW:
https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-cold-intake-p-5724.html

"This high quality Cold Air Intake increases air flow by as much as 20% and is one of the best dollars to horsepower investments you can make. Tested to boost torque by up to 10 pounds and horse power up to 10. This gain in power doesn't sacrifice anything and will actually improve fuel economy by 1 or 2 mpg's depending on driving style."

Hydroboy35th

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I for sure noticed a difference in throttle response. The “but dyno” didn’t really feel any different but I enjoy the noises it makes and having a 6spd is a bonus. For what it’s worth this was in the box with the intake.

CC614BE9-C999-4A23-94A8-B13E3C1B20AC.jpeg

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
I just throw a K&N filter on mine and call it a day.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Waste of money. Little known secret is the ice cube rule. Put ice cubes on your manifold. Each cube is good for 1/4 horsepower. It’s heavy but a 20lb sack from the store yields 5lb. Refreeze and reuse.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'd like to see real-world dyno results and not K&N's. It's just too easy to believe the manufacturer's results are propaganda same as Hitler woulda told you Nazis are awesome.

In most vehicles people just hear the intake noise and THINK their CAI makes more power. We generally underestimate the role our SENSES play in our PERCEPTION of well...everything.

"He said 'It's all in your head' and I said 'So's everything'...but he didn't get it."

Now oftentimes a CAI cleans up the engine bay and I'm all in favor of that, but as for more power....meh, just drill a few holes somewhere and dimple die them. Voila, speed holes = same effect ;)
Sponsored