Catback or axleback

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Other than the obvious, that one has extra pieces, what’s the benefit of the catback over the axleback exhaust?
Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

My experience is cat back exhausts provide deeper and louder exhaust note less back pressure

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
In terms of performance there is a marginal difference if any. It's mostly for sound change.

If you go for the 2.0T, it could effect performance a bit more, but you'd really need a turboback with a tune in order to see any noticeable difference.

Personally, I'd go for the cheaper axleback option unless you hardcore offroad and want a catback that gives you better clearance, because the sound difference is usually barely noticeable and the performance difference is basically non-existent.

The thing that effects the sound the most is the type and size of muffler you go with, which is located on the axleback portion.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
In terms of performance there is a marginal difference if any. It's mostly for sound change.

If you go for the 2.0T, it could effect performance a bit more, but you'd really need a turboback with a tune in order to see any noticeable difference.

Personally, I'd go for the cheaper axleback option unless you hardcore offroad and want a catback that gives you better clearance, because the sound difference is usually barely noticeable and the performance difference is basically non-existent.

The thing that effects the sound the most is the type and size of muffler you go with, which is located on the axleback portion.
Thank you for your opinion and advice. Much appreciated. :like:

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Other than the obvious, that one has extra pieces, what’s the benefit of the catback over the axleback exhaust?
Cat backs are most likely to affect performance and drone levels because they replace the factory resonator.

Unless you want better clearance or something, I wouldn't bother modifying the exhaust. That said, I like the idea of cat backs that have an inline muffler because it's a cleaner design.
Sponsored