Car/Jeep Swap

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Befriend someone with a 911 that does track days, or a track event that rents them. The 911 is totally wasted on public roads. Kinda like going on a date with [insert hottie here] and being told you can only hold hands.

Could say the same about a JL, but just swap off-road for track above.
Depends on what public roads you live around!
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Depends on what public roads you live around!
Actually it doesn't. Once you've run one on the track, you realize there is no way to get anywhere near the capabilities of the car on a public road.

I lived 10 minutes from various epic Malibu Hills roads (e.g. Stunt, Piuma) and 30 min from Angeles Crest. There is no way to safely run a 911 near the limits on those roads. About the only "safe" public road for pushing the limit is some straight run in the desert - which I find a waste of time but some guys like to go fast in a straight line.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This probably already exists, and maybe not at the individual owner level, but I'd like to see some ODB port plugin that monitors all aspects of a loaned ride's usage from speeds, to braking to cornering, to engine metrics, etc. so as to insure lessors hold to contractual obligations to drive the rental within reasonable limits that don't put excessive wear and tear on the vehicle.

Such devices might get more people willing to loan their vehicles to others, especially during times they're not in use, and achieve a higher return on their investment. It might be of interest to the rental car industry too.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Actually it doesn't. Once you've run one on the track, you realize there is no way to get anywhere near the capabilities of the car on a public road.

I lived 10 minutes from various epic Malibu Hills roads (e.g. Stunt, Piuma) and 30 min from Angeles Crest. There is no way to safely run a 911 near the limits on those roads. About the only "safe" public road for pushing the limit is some straight run in the desert - which I find a waste of time but some guys like to go fast in a straight line.
You are right. I wasn't meaning to say that you can get anything near its potential on the street. On the roads you gave an example of, you can have a great deal of fun, and appreciate the awesome steering, braking and acceleration. I also have an on ramp that creates its own lane for 3/4 of a mile. I often get a chance to go flat out to 80 in the Z06. Once again you are right to say that it doesn't compare to the track, but it is great fun non the less

ale70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I already drive the vehicle of my dreams, a Wrangler.

After driving various German cars for years, I got to the point in life where I have zero curiosity about vehicles other than Wranglers. None whatsoever. I'm not saying it's good, it's just the way it is. It could change in the future.
I agree with this 100%. I bought a brand new 911 in 2012. Every single day I would hit 110-120 for a few seconds, minutes. Every person and their grandmother wants to race you. ALL the time. In the end I let it go because it wasn't as fast as I thought it would be (991 Carrera S) and sooner or later I would have been caught speeding with all the consequences. My 2020 JLUR is a real fun vehicle. You can remove parts, change its look. It's rugged and if there is a new scratch on it, I don't really care much.....

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I agree with this 100%. I bought a brand new 911 in 2012. Every single day I would hit 110-120 for a few seconds, minutes. Every person and their grandmother wants to race you. ALL the time.
All the years I drove German cars I was living in Germany. Obviously, driving on the German Autobahn.

I totaled my first BMW less than 24 hours after buying it (no injuries). Very embarrassing... but I learned my lesson. Never caused any accident after that, not even a scratch.

I was in my 2nd BMW less than 24 hours after the crash. It was fun for a few years, than came Audi, Mercedes, VW and Opel. Now I don't care anymore. It's like I got it out of my system, and so far it hasn't come back.

OTOH, I know a guy who is 60 yo and just paid 120k or so for some Mustang model. Everybody is different.

I looked hard for my plain vanilla Rubicon with no sensors at all, back and rear. Just a plain workhorse. I love it.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
You can always rent a 911 from Hertz or other rental companies if you want to check one out. You’d probably have more fun in a Cayman though and they are cheaper.

i doubt you‘d get anyone who would want to hand you their keys to their 911

agree on the track comments - only place you can really see what they can do. For fun driving everyday - just try out the cayman convertible - the boxster - they are no longer your hairdresser‘s car
Sponsored