Cab (Rain) Cover?

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I'm looking at cab covers for my JLR w/soft top but there are lots of choices, at varying price points.

Just wondering if anyone here has one of these and why you chose the one you did?
Sponsored

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
I'm looking at cab covers for my JLR w/soft top but there are lots of choices, at varying price points.

Just wondering if anyone here has one of these and why you chose the one you did?
Are you wanting to cover it while the top is folded back or when the roof is completely off?

I have this one for when I leave the top down on my Jeep.

Or you can get this one for if you take the top off.

I haven't had it on during a rain but it should be fine.

I did modify it a little though...the panels on the door are held down by small clips that hook unto the body seams. I put buckles on the straps so that I can hook them around my ACE Rock Sliders.
This photo is before the buckles were added.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? 1685544945843

You do have to fold your mirrors in to put it on...but that isn't a problem either.

OP
OP
gregeast

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Thanks Joe, looks like a good fit. My use case is with the soft top folded down, same as you.

Does it fold up fairly small when not in use?

Joe's_Roxy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Quality Manager
Thanks Joe, looks like a good fit. My use case is with the soft top folded down, same as you.

Does it fold up fairly small when not in use?
Hello Greg,

I think it does ok folded up. It comes with a bag made from the same material and I haven't been able to get it folded up and back in the bag without issues. The cover has the same plastic type rails that the stock top has to lock into the bed of the Jeep. So you can't fold it too much (or at least I haven't tried yet). I think you won't be disappointed with this cover.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? 1685563679754

It is about the size of 2 - 50 lb bags of fast setting concrete...just MUCH lighter.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Asking because I truly don't know. How long does it take to just put the soft top up on a 2dr? I can't see buying and carrying a cover to basically cover what the soft top would. Unless it takes that much longer to pull the soft top up.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Unless you use this at home and leave it at home. I park in a garage so I may be missing the benefit. Again asking to learn...

Mine&Hers

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Rain Gear cover top on or off best out there.

OP
OP
gregeast

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
The soft top is easy and quick enough to put up and I'm sure is no slower than fitting the rain cover.

My use case is that I don't always want to have to carry the windows with me. I have a nice bag and they fit fine behind the front seats but that means no rear seat passengers and it's just a hassle to take the windows in and out. I think this is especially true in our 2-doors, where space is at a premium.

So, my hope was to find something that folded up small enough that I could just keep it in the back, for emergency use only. I should mention that I live along the Front Range of Colorado, so the weather can be pretty unpredictable. What may start out as a nice afternoon can very quickly turn into a 20 minute rain storm...

Grampy22

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLJX
I went with Rain Gear. Solid. Strong and covers all of my Jeep. Pics are of when I first got it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5952
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5951
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5950
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5949
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5952
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5951
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5950
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_5949

Sponsored

Victory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 - 2 Door Base Sport MT w/ half doors
Since rain will pool in the cover when the top is down, and the JL top folds up and down so fast and easy, I like to put the top up (without the windows) and then put the cover over.
It doesn’t seem like almost any companies make a cover that fits with the top up except the rain gear one which is pretty big so won’t stuff down as small for storage. Seems everything else for JL was made for either top off or top down.
I found that some JK covers will fit with the top up. I bought the MOPAR JK cover, which isn’t 100% perfect but pretty close and allows me to put the top up to keep the rain from pooling and it is smaller and thinner than the rain gear covers to easily stash in the trunk cubby on the 2 door along with a few tools.
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_0170
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_0171
Jeep Wrangler JL Cab (Rain) Cover? IMG_0172

mrtm1970

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I went with Rain Gear. Solid. Strong and covers all of my Jeep. Pics are of when I first got it.
What I needed today, lol

Looks great!

OP
OP
gregeast

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Since rain will pool in the cover when the top is down, and the JL top folds up and down so fast and easy, I like to put the top up (without the windows) and then put the cover over.
It doesn’t seem like almost any companies make a cover that fits with the top up except the rain gear one which is pretty big so won’t stuff down as small for storage. Seems everything else for JL was made for either top off or top down.
I found that some JK covers will fit with the top up. I bought the MOPAR JK cover, which isn’t 100% perfect but pretty close and allows me to put the top up to keep the rain from pooling and it is smaller and thinner than the rain gear covers to easily stash in the trunk cubby on the 2 door along with a few tools.

Thank you, this looks like the perfect solution for me. Love your half doors, carrying this might keep me from taking the uppers along as well. Thanks again.
Sponsored