Buy or Lease?

Gfcronus

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go cart.
Getting set to pick up my JLUR manual from the dealership next Friday. I’m torn between buying or leasing. This will be my first ever Jeep and first manual transmission in a dozen years. I’m in my 50s with tween kids....meaning that if I buy I’d likely want to keep it for at least 10 years....that’s a lot of clutch presses for someone past his physical prime. On the other hand, kids would be able to learn to drive on a manual. Any thoughts from those who have had the same indecision?
Sponsored

N3mesis

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Wrangler on Order
Getting set to pick up my JLUR manual from the dealership next Friday. I’m torn between buying or leasing. This will be my first ever Jeep and first manual transmission in a dozen years. I’m in my 50s with tween kids....meaning that if I buy I’d likely want to keep it for at least 10 years....that’s a lot of clutch presses for someone past his physical prime. On the other hand, kids would be able to learn to drive on a manual. Any thoughts from those who have had the same indecision?
The benefit of leasing is if it has a lot of problems they're not your problems. At the end of the lease, you return it. Purchasing, they may be your problems but, after the year or two, the wranglers depreciate so slowly you will be in a good position to switch if you desire. You will be good either way.

Good luck and congrats on the Jeep!

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
When you lease you can still finance the remainder of the loan after the lease is up. But compare interest rates. I believe financing is usually a better rate.
Id do a lease because chances are at your age youre gonna get tired of shifting real fast.
My 50yr old uncle only had his standard for a week before he took it back for an auto. Standard is for young people and even at 23 i cant stand them, daily driver or not, i personally dont see the long term appeal for one.

OP
OP

Gfcronus

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go cart.
The benefit of leasing is if it has a lot of problems they're not your problems. At the end of the lease, you return it. Purchasing, they may be your problems but, after the year or two, the wranglers depreciate so slowly you will be in a good position to switch if you desire. You will be good either way.

Good luck and congrats on the Jeep!
I am 60:40 leaning towards leasing. We've been leasing our other cars for 6+ years now. We like the carefree “ownership” that a lease provides. With the Jeep, however, a lease means no mods.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
With the Jeep, however, a lease means no mods.
this isn't entirely true: in most cases, you can pretty much do whatever you wish, but if the mod were to DETRACT from the value of the vehicle at least end, you would be responsible for the difference in value. BUT, if you do mod the lease at all, if you don't keep the original parts & turn it in with all the mods, you'll be basically be giving the dealership those mods for free.
My daughter is leasing her jeep & has so far done a few mods to it, but she's of the mind set that she's simply going to keep it forever (purchase at the end of her lease term), so she's not too concerned about putting whatever mods she wants on it.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
One thing the OP didn't mention was mileage. If you are likely to go over 12k a year, your better off buying for sure.

OP
OP

Gfcronus

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go cart.
One thing the OP didn't mention was mileage. If you are likely to go over 12k a year, your better off buying for sure.
I am not likely to exceed 12k a year, but it would be nice to not care if I do. On the other hand, my wife’s car is leased (10.5k/year), but she works from home.....so it wouldn’t be difficult to juggle the cars in order to help manage the miles if needed.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I am not likely to exceed 12k a year, but it would be nice to not care if I do. On the other hand, my wife’s car is leased (10.5k/year), but she works from home.....so it wouldn’t be difficult to juggle the cars in order to help manage the miles if needed.
Given your situation then, I would say lease. Really, if you're getting a Jeep, you can't go wrong either way.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I am 48 and my daily driver is a MT. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another MT, I am more concern about MT disappearing and I want to get another before I am severely restricted.

My ex-wife bought a MT when she was 40 after over 13 years of not owning one. Her leg was killing her very shortly after. She went to the doctor, and the doctor said was stupid to buy a MT at 40 after not owning one for a long time. She told her to pick another midlife crisis. I thought I was going to be trading in a 2 month old car, I even called the dealer to negotiate for another one with automatic. They were coming out with a new generation model so she wanted to wait for that one. The pain went away shortly after and she kept it 4 years until VW bought it back as part of the TDI scandal.

Personally, I would buy. I leased my Jeep but I just started a new business this month, I wanted the cash flow if needed. I normally would have bought and I plan on buying it out when the lease it up unless I have a major issue. It would have been cheaper to buy though.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
If you get a MT because you like driving it it shouldn’t really become tiresome to drive. I recently got a MT JLUR after having an auto for the last 10 years. I am in my late 40s and after a few weeks I honestly don’t even think about it anymore, it’s second nature. The number of vehicles available with a MT gets smaller every year so get one while you can if you like driving them. I’ve bought and leased in the past and feel like buying makes more sense unless you are someone who needs a new car / latest model every few years.
Sponsored