Sponsored

Bumpers are confusing

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
LOD makes two different series front bumpers, Signature and Destroyer both can be purchased as stubby, mid width and full width. Their web site provides all the information about capabilities. The all will take winches, fog lights and are rated for flat tow. They are also American made.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jrodrig764

Jrodrig764

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
I put on a steel front (rear is coming) based on 4 criteria:

1. I expect to hit a deer or elk at about 50kmh one day
2. I expect to slide off the side of a FSR and hit a tree when trying to turn around
3. I will need a winch with the type of exploring I do
4. Better looking IMO

WEIGHT - I just want to mention this as I see it always come up and I pondered this for a bit.

I have a thread right now in the Exterior Mod section as I'm replacing my bumpers and installing a winch.

Don't forget to subtract the weight of your stock bumper from the new bumper when considering weight. My stock plastic bumper is 33lbs. The bumper I replaced it with is 60lbs. 27lbs would make no difference for anything.

I of course then added a striker bar and am putting a winch on - but again if you're just replacing steel for plastic it's not that much difference since the plastic bumper is full of metal.
Great reply. You must live in the north somewhere. Thanks

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
You need to consider your criteria.

if you are gonna run 37s you need a stubby.

will you run a winch? If so look at whether winch plate is included because a winch plate adds cost and weight

also for a winch how does it sit? Some are recessed more than others. Some are basically hidden which looks good but can be a pain for maintenance.

Do you want a bar or accessory lights? Look at how the design accommodates that

recovery hooks or d-rings? One of the biggest problems with the Mopar bumper is the open tow hooks IMO

will you flat-tow?

do you need a good jack-point for a hi-lift or a mounting option for the hi-lift?

do you want a skid plate below the bumper? Not all bumpers support it.

do you want the bumper to have integrated fog lights and do you want it to support the OEM fog lights?

how much weight are you willing to add?

do you live in a high rust area? If so look carefully at materials and finishes

and finally - aesthetics. This is basically just a steel bar. They all work. Get one that you love the looks of.

there is a thread with a complete list of bumpers. Once you have your requirements sorted out, go spend a day on that thread. Link
Jeep Wrangler JL Bumpers are confusing no_questions
Sponsored