Build Help - Where to Start?

Jharrell0927

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have been looking to join the club and recently was looking at a brand new 2021 JLU Rubicon. We also just ended up replacing my wife's car with a larger SUV (my kids aren't so little anymore). After running the numbers, we just can't make the Rubicon work within our budget. So it's back to the drawing board for me. I am bummed I won't be getting a new Jeep (obviously), but I am actually really excited about building one exactly how I want it. So here we go!

I am looking for something that I can upgrade over time with high quality parts. I want to switch out the axles, lift, put in front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnects, etc... Essentially everything a Rubicon has, but maybe a tad different. I have been looking at used prices and it seems I need to go back to the JK days to get a decent price on a project Jeep (which isn't a bad thing).

What is the ideal year / model to start a build like this? Any advice from you guys that have done a few of these? Lessons learned? If you could go back and start from the perfect year/model? Etc..

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
It is not going to be the answer that you want to hear. But I recommend that you take care of your wife & kids needs first. And once that has been accomplished, or maybe at the same time, save a little every month to get and build your Jeep/rig. It took me over 5 years to get my rig and start my build. But my family’s needs came first. And if would have taken me longer, so be it. Again family first.

OP
OP

Jharrell0927

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is not going to be the answer that you want to hear. But I recommend that you take care of your wife & kids needs first. And once that has been accomplished, or maybe at the same time, save a little every month to get and build your Jeep/rig. It took me over 5 years to get my rig and start my build. But my family’s needs came first. And if would have taken me longer, so be it. Again family first.
Thank you for the reply. This was at the core of my decision not to get a brand new jeep. It could have been doable, but then we would have been car poor. What is the point of having a new toy when you can't afford anything else.

I ended up finding a 'new to me' 2011 Sahara that while having some miles on it, was very well taken care of and looks new. We will have it paid off shortly, and will have the cushion to provide for the family and slowly build the jeep over time.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the reply. This was at the core of my decision not to get a brand new jeep. It could have been doable, but then we would have been car poor. What is the point of having a new toy when you can't afford anything else.

I ended up finding a 'new to me' 2011 Sahara that while having some miles on it, was very well taken care of and looks new. We will have it paid off shortly, and will have the cushion to provide for the family and slowly build the jeep over time.
just be forewarned, they dont say "just empty every pocket" for nothing. it wasnt till my kids were off in collage that i could "afford" (i use this term lightly) to get a Rubi and proceed to dump quite a few thousands into it. i like your idea of starting off slow, i recommend getting that stock Sahara and putting on sliders and skids as your first mods. they really dont look as cool as big tires but you can drive the heck out of it and learn the ropes. as you wear out and break parts you will upgrade.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear jharrell. You created a plan that appears to be well thought out. And to add to Jlopes’s comment, get a wench and learn about stacking rocks.

Skids and sliders are great, but if you get stuck... you’ll need a way to get unstuck. Which is where the stacking rocks and a wench will come into play.

Likewise, search and watch videos on proper ways to stack rocks and wench. Then hit some easy trails to get a feel for being on dirt. And the most important part of it all... have fun doing it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jharrell0927

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the tips! I am looking into skid plates and a winch now. I am also considering a 2.5 inch lift and bigger tires. The thought process behind that is the tires are almost brand new and the shocks need to be replaced. I might be able to salvage some money from selling the tires and I don't want to waste money on shocks now, only to replace them when I lift it eventually.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the tips! I am looking into skid plates and a winch now. I am also considering a 2.5 inch lift and bigger tires. The thought process behind that is the tires are almost brand new and the shocks need to be replaced. I might be able to salvage some money from selling the tires and I don't want to waste money on shocks now, only to replace them when I lift it eventually.
wear them tires out, nobody gonna give you anything for them. i gave away my rubi rims n tires with only 6k miles on them. a crazy guy drove all the way from vegas for em. he gave them away to another guy in a sport. so run em and keep an eye on the waiver wire, guys dumpin take offs left n right for cheap.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Also because of COVID a recent study was showing a lot of kids have moved back in with parents. The average age a kid is "off the payroll" is now 29 years of age. This was 22 years of age 5 months ago.

OP
OP

Jharrell0927

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wear them tires out, nobody gonna give you anything for them. i gave away my rubi rims n tires with only 6k miles on them. a crazy guy drove all the way from vegas for em. he gave them away to another guy in a sport. so run em and keep an eye on the waiver wire, guys dumpin take offs left n right for cheap.
Any good suggestions on where to look? Offerup? Facebook?

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Jharrell sometimes you can find smoking deals on OfferUp or FB. I picked up a practically brand new oem JK radio off of OfferUp for $20 and a set of 5 oem 17” aluminum wheels off of FB for $100 for one of our JK’s. It doesn’t happen over night but it does happen from time to time.

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear jharrell. You created a plan that appears to be well thought out. And to add to Jlopes’s comment, get a wench and learn about stacking rocks.

Skids and sliders are great, but if you get stuck... you’ll need a way to get unstuck. Which is where the stacking rocks and a wench will come into play.

Likewise, search and watch videos on proper ways to stack rocks and wench. Then hit some easy trails to get a feel for being on dirt. And the most important part of it all... have fun doing it.
lots of Portegies up there in Tulare!

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Jlopes yes there are a lot of Portuguese in this area. Most people think my family came from Portugal as well. Yet when they find out where we are from, it is a priceless facial expression. And in more modern times there have been a large number of Dutch that have moved up here from your neck of the woods.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Jlopes yes there are a lot of Portuguese in this area. Most people think my family came from Portugal as well. Yet when they find out where we are from, it is a priceless facial expression. And in more modern times there have been a large number of Dutch that have moved up here from your neck of the woods.
Ok, now i gotta ask, where is your family from? Lol my big dutch buddy is up in sac, lookin to come back down to visalia. Small world. Im sure ive got cousins idk up that way lol

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
My family is originally from Italy.

Most people that move in this area want to live in Visalia. Better schools, nicer houses, higher social status and better jobs. In a nutshell I see Visalia becoming the next Fresno.
Sponsored